Recent content by MattfromWI

1. MattfromWI

Farmer Maggot

Thank you -- so much -- for putting this together :D
  2. MattfromWI

Alternative Theory on Wizard Colors

Thank you both for the conversation! @LyndonLeaves I also like the idea of Gandalf as community organizer, though I think that is a result of his affinity to Nienna and Irmo: he harnesses compassion, vision, and dreams to draw people closer emotionally/spiritually. I think this is evident too...
  3. MattfromWI

Alternative Theory on Wizard Colors

So I'm still catching up a bit, and I just finished the episodes where Prof Olsen recharacterizes the Wizard colors from marks of hierarchical status (understood like karate belts) to signals of each Wizard's particular discipline or role. As I understand it, the class decided that the...
  4. MattfromWI

There is Providence and then there is Providence!

Major kudos for the LPW reference! For a long time he was my favorite literary character.
  5. MattfromWI

Chronology and Gandalf decoy plan

Forgive me for jumping into the discussion--I'm about 10 episodes behind but eager to catch up. I don't know everything that was discussed during the classes but I think the text makes pretty clear Gandalf's thought process: Gandalf narrates that at Weathertop, "I was hard put to it indeed"...
  6. MattfromWI

Did we miss Aragorn's vision of kingship?

Thanks all for responding! I wrote this too soon, a bit--in subsequent episodes Corey and the group did distinguish that Aragorn is being Kingly by prioritizing the salvation of Gondor, and is expressly NOT pursuing a crown. (I mean, he probably wants a crown so he can wed Arwen, but his...
  7. MattfromWI

I wouldn't say I missethed it (for general conversation)

Nice catch! I think this reading aligns nicely with the fact that the Ring appears to respond to fire/heat. You're further ahead than I am. I look forward to seeing you among the group when I catch up! Episode 140 today....
  8. MattfromWI

Did we miss Aragorn's vision of kingship?

I am one of the many, I'm sure, who is working feverishly to catch up. I just finished Episode 138, in which you and the group discuss the exchange between Aragorn and Boromir (the first one) during the Council of Elrond. In your discussion of Aragorn "casting" his sword on the table and in the...
  9. MattfromWI

The purpose of the Eärendil poem (all that tarrying)

I think this is an important distinction. Tolkien's heroes are not, as Sam calls them, people who are bored and go looking for some adventure. They are driven to it by circumstance--but that doesn't make them heroes. Their heroism comes from the fact that that do right even in the midst of...
  10. MattfromWI

Thanks for the Harry Potter fanfic quote too!
  11. MattfromWI

Aragorn and Boromir, round 1 - Aragorn's gentle offer of Kingship

I am one of the many, I'm sure, who is working feverishly to catch up. I just finished Episode 138, in which Corey and the group discuss the exchange between Aragorn and Boromir (the first one) during the Council of Elrond. I can't wait to join the podcasts real-time, but until then, I wanted to...
  12. MattfromWI

This podcast is the highlight of my week; I am many episodes behind and am looking forward to catching up (and participating in the discussions)! I just listened to the six-episode extravaganza discussion of the Eärendil poem in “Many Meetings” and I am interested in an undiscussed link between...