Rachel Port's latest activity

• R
    Rachel Port replied to the thread The Orc Problem.
    Personally I see frightening numbers of people and groups these days who show a good deal of Orcishness, and they show it by extreme...
  • R
    Oh yes - I like Legolas and Gimli and their relationship, and the counting game is part of that. Also, as you point out, it's not really...
  • R
    What about their lives in the world? Do they have families? Do they love their mothers? Their wives? Their children? Do they bring up...
  • R
    Tolkien left the Orcs unfinished, in his own mind as well as in his writings. What we are left with is several concepts along the way...
  • R
    One thing you forget, Flammifer: this is first and foremost Faramir's dream. It was Faramir who thought he should go find Imladris and...
  • R
    Jim, I think Boromir is leery of "magic" or anything uncanny. I would guess that he trusts more in human strength and grittiness. He...
  • R
    Rachel Port reacted to Jim Deutch's post in the thread What are the powers of the Ring? with Like Like.
    . . . IF they think like we do, with our bias towards reason and science. But we have little evidence of that. The Elves present should...
  • R
    Do they really value the vulgar - do they prefer what to us sounds ugly, or is it what they grow up with and learn so that other ways of...
  • R
    Rachel Port replied to the thread Wise groups.
    I don't understand how fanstasy fiction (not a genre I read, as a rule) can exist without readers having to use their imaginations...
  • R
    What the orcses were doing was the kind of thing they were doing in The Hobbit - haunting caves, bothering travellers, raiding villages...
  • R
    Flammifer, where do you see that? I just reread the end of the Council and the next chapter until the Company sets out, and I don't see...
  • R
    The Dwarfs are not children of Iluvatar either. How would your theory deal with them?
  • R
    That's a great point. It's easy to forget that not everyone on the Council is in complete agreement, despite all being "good guys." If...
  • R
    It's also worth noting that, according to the frame, we're reading an authored narrative. That is, the story justifies literary flourish...
  • R
    So you go on. Gandalf, Elrond - all these folk have taught you to say so. For themselves they may be right. These elves and half-elves...