Recent content by Yard Sard

1. Y

Adaptation: Significance of Temporal Precedence

My dad's favorite baseball movie is The Natural. It wasn't until I was in my 20s that I learned that Roy Hobbs strikes out at the end in the book. Talk about making just one little change ...
  2. Y

Comparison to a hypothetical

One thing that I notice a lot during the analysis discussions is that there's a lot of attention paid to how a particular thing is done in this particular adaptation — character X is like this, this, and this; his line of dialogue has this effect, his actions here have that effect. What I don't...
  3. Y

I wonder what people think who saw Will Smith "I, Robot" movie before reading the story thought. Or people who saw the (1993) Super Mario Bros. movie without ever playing the game
  4. Y

I remember when I read TPB (after the film) I was most nonplussed by was that none of the characters were presented with any kind of idiom. Not Fezzik, not Inigo. They seemed so flat compared to the larger-than-life, scenery-chewing cartoon characters they were in the movie.
  5. Y

Please stop pounding the table

Thank you! :)
  6. Y

Doing science with fiction

The distinction between science and engineering can be helpful here too. One is where you take well-understood techniques and apply them to well-understood situations to achieve an end. The other is where you're exploring the boundaries of human knowledge, and your efforts may or may not bear...
  7. Y

Fill-in-blanks adaptation

Come to think of it though — almost the entire history of the Oz property is a series of fill-in-the-blanks adaptations, including by Baum himself. Famously half his own series was him taking what he had hoped to turn into a separate and unconnected story in its own right, with its own...
  8. Y

Ha, I listened longer and someone did mention R&GAD. That'll teach me. But the Wicked example is very apt, and I would say that there are lots of musicals that do the same kind of fill-in-the-blanks adaptation with their source material simply because they have to have to have twice the running...
  9. Y

Let me hasten to add that I'm not trying to make a statement along the lines of "facts don't care about your feelings". That's not what I'm about. This isn't a political stance I'm taking. Feelings are important; they're a part of being human. Emotions are how societies operate, for better or...
  10. Y

Listening to Episode 27 now (I'm catching up!) and really enjoying the discussion of developing a vocabulary for the kind of dispassionate analysis that is being slowly made firm in spite of "did you like it or not?"/"how faithful to the source material is it?" Melkor-like meddling. (My facile...
  11. Y

I wanted someone to mention Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead. What a weird little idiosyncratic passion project that is
  12. Y

Yeah, I mean — the reason I mention an editor isn't to suggest that the table-smacking booms could be fixed in post, but more to ask whether anyone is listening to the product before it gets sent out at all. Because anyone listening to it just for QC purposes would immediately notice there's an...
  13. Y

Damage to the source material by an adaptation

Listening to Episode 16 right now (the one with John Howe), but Corey has brought it up a number of times: the idea that readers/viewers with a critical mind ought to be able to distance themselves emotionally from the idea of a potentially "bad" adaptation coming along and "ruining" the source...
  14. Y

Sorry to once again only be posting when I have a quibbling and non-substantive complaint instead of something to actually contribute, but... Corey, I am begging you on hands and knees: please stop banging on the table with your hands! When you do that, whether you're emphasizing a point or...
  15. Y

Silvertine

Isn't it "tine" as in the tines of a fork? i.e. not pronounced "teen"
Back