Session 7-09: Season Outline

I’d rather that Lalaith be conceived during the summit rather than Morwen be pregnant already. If she is going to be pregnant then, I suggest early stages (or even that she discovers her pregnancy during the summit). Maybe she has morning sickness? I’m concerned that her travelling while visibly pregnant will undermine her later decision not to accompany Túrin to Doriath later (I do acknowledge that the situation is different - here she is travelling openly with her husband and full entourage, later it will be just two old retainers to accompany). She is heavily pregnant with Nienor at that time.

I think that will work out fine. The Rían and Huor storyline will be in the second episode of the Summit, so any discussion of Morwen's condition will likely happen then. So, if she discovers she is pregnant at the Summit, that will work well in Episode 7. I agree that if she is travelling home from the Summit heavily pregnant, it will undermine her later decision to the viewer. Better to avoid that situation. Having Rían come along as part of the entourage to help with a difficult 3 year old will be fine without the additional motivation. .

Perhaps the realisation that she is pregnant, and sharing this with Húrin at the close of the summit reinforces the sense of optimism at that point - things are all looking up! Perhaps that feeds into of their decision to name her ’laughter’.

I’d rather that Lalaith be conceived during the summit rather than Morwen be pregnant already. If she is going to be pregnant then, I suggest early stages (or even that she discovers her pregnancy during the summit). Maybe she has morning sickness? I’m concerned that her travelling while visibly pregnant will undermine her later decision not to accompany Túrin to Doriath later (I do acknowledge that the situation is different - here she is travelling openly with her husband and full entourage, later it will be just two old retainers to accompany). She is heavily pregnant with Nienor at that time.
I think Morwen realising she must be pregnant at the summit, maybe tipped off by a discussion with an Elf who is quite shocked to discover that humans follow such a practice, would be a good trigger for a discussion about how it's a matter of hope for the future for humans. Vastly different to how Elves approach child-bearing and -rearing.

I think Morwen realising she must be pregnant at the summit, maybe tipped off by a discussion with an Elf who is quite shocked to discover that humans follow such a practice, would be a good trigger for a discussion about how it's a matter of hope for the future for humans. Vastly different to how Elves approach child-bearing and -rearing.
Well, It is well possible that it would be obvious to an elf that she is pregnant and elves might completely taken aback by the fact she herself has not noticed it yet. The mortals' alienation from their very own bodies - both it the comparable lack of control and even far more so in the lack of knowledge and awareness would be for sure shocking. And while elves do not comprehend sickness they do comprehend gestation.

Last edited:
Just listened through the episode and wanted to throw out a refined idea for Sauron's temptation of Uldor. To plant the initial seed of rebellion, what if Sauron comes not to Uldor by himself but rather Uldor and Ulfang. On the surface, his words could be directed at Ulfang, regarding his relationship to the Emperor of Bree. But, sub-textually, he's actually talking to Uldor, regarding his relationship with his father. The gist being along the lines of, "He doesn't appreciate all you've done for him and he never will. And now he's prepared to throw your life away to further his own ambitions. The God of the North knows how to repay his loyal servants. He won't let you become an elvish thrall" (etc.). Ulfang isn't moved at all and sends Sauron packing, and so the moment avoids undermining the sense of building Amdir. But later, closer to the battle, Sauron returns to Uldor alone and we realize Uldor was his target all along and his words have been slowly working on him - he just needs a final push from Sauron to go over the edge. Just a thought!

One advantage to that approach is that we will have introduced Ulfang, and he'll be our primary character for the Easterlings. So, the audience will know to expect his point of view. Having him clearly reject Sauron's advance helps build amdir, as you point out. Uldor will be a minor character at this point. We'll have met him, but most likely haven't had a scene from his point of view, or away from his father yet. So if Sauron were to single him out and meet with him alone early on, it would definitely point him out to the audience as 'oh, hello, this guy is going to be a traitor.' Since that would be his first scene on his own most likely! Much better to have him in the background of an Ulfang and Sauron scene, and not have his first scene on his own feature Sauron at all. Then, when Sauron meets with him alone at night much later, in Beleriand, we're ready to reveal the cracks that could lead him to betray his father.

I really like this introduction of Uldor. Also, Uldor should have a confident to talk to between the first approach from Sauron to Ulfang and his second approach to Uldor.
Since the sons of Ulfang will die, someone has to remain alive and claim the reward for the betrayal. I'd suggest Brodda (although it could be Sauron impersonating him).
In line with the Roman emperor's theme, maybe Sauron promises lands to the men but Morgoth replies like the Romans to the assassins of Viriathus: "Rome does not reward traitors" and sends them to Dor Lomin. Or maybe we can give that line to the Emperor of Bree while he is having tea with Sauron .

Back