Finrod's companions

Haerangil

This season we're gonna see Finrod's companions. Any ideas for them?

We know they're possibly the elite of Nargothrond, but they're gonna die soon...

In my headcanon i always equaled them to the seven Samurai, only they are actually ten!

I don't suppose we will get lines of dialogue for all of them, but let's have the fun to think about the doomed ten as outstanding extras! We only know Edrahil was one of them, so who are the nine others? I am having fun with the idea that actually some of the supposedly famous names from Beleg's whetting spell are among them: Gaurin, Nargil, Ogbar, Rodrim, Saithnar, Loruin, Guilin and Daurin. Now they're eight! Who could be the missing two? I actually suppose: Inglor, father of Gildor Inglorion! And... another unused/abandoned name.Maybe mablon?

So who are they now? I suppose they are Noldor, with the possible exception of Mablon who maybe is a displaced Grey or green elf...

*Edrahil: a loyalist, councillor and doorward to Finrod
*Gaurin:a great wolf-hunter, fights with a Glaive
*Nargil: "Firestar" the twin of Loruin, a master of the Dirk, both brothers are blade-throwers and silent assassins
*Loruin:"dreaming flame", identical twin of Nargil
*Ogbar:"sharp-corner home", a palace Guard who fights with a mighty throwing-spear
*Rodrim:"quiet enduring host" or "lion host", a powerful and wild maned smith, fights wirh a hammer-shaped mace
*Saithnar: "fire hunger", an agressive youth who fights with a mighty sword
*Guilin:"ready song", a wise councillor and elder, father of Gwindor and Gelmir
*Daurin:"The waiting one", a rugged great wanderer
*Inglor: the son of Rodwen Galdrien, Gil-Galad's older sister,,a young elf who has recently become a father

Last edited:
I really would love to fan-cast actors for them...

I imagine them everybody to be different, having his unique look, style and skills, like the Ninjas in Shinobi...

Edrahil:
Edrahil.png

Gaurin:
Screenshot_2022-05-05-10-32-46-1.pngScreenshot_2022-05-05-10-33-31-1-1.png

Last edited:
Yes, we will likely have room to name and characterize at least one or two of Finrod's companions. We likely won't spend enough time with them to get to know the whole group.

For Silm Film, we would probably be including Edrahil and Inglor. Inglor cannot be the son of Gil-galad's sister, because his sister is Finduilas.

IIRC i had made that daughter of Orodreth up for fanon to have a possible genealogy for Gildor in Finrods house...

I believe another daughter Rodwen or Galdrien was mentioned somewhere in work in process in the HoME, but back then that character was iirc a forerunner of Galadriel.

I'm having mad fun with my Finrod's eleven fanfic, wheter you'll include parts of it in silmfilm or not.

I propose that while in Sauron's prison Finrod - knowing of his own near death and having nor offsping on his own (yet) declares that the offspring of his comrades who die with him would carry on his name in ME and be given the honorific title "of the House of Finrod" as a sign of their fathers' loyalty to their king (maybe even mentioning that they are more faithfull to him than his own family - seeing that no one from Nargothrond bothered to come to his rescue when the news of his capture must have reached them). Beren would be the one witnessing this and passing on the message of the decree to the families in Nargothrond once his is back in Doriath or even before when he is in Brethil recovering.

Last edited:
I propose that while in Sauron's prison Finrod - knowing of his own near death and having nor offsping on his own (yet) declares that the offspring of his comrades who die with him would carry on his name in ME and be given the honorific title "of the House of Finrod" as a sign of their fathers' loyalty to their king (maybe even mentioning that they are more faithfull to him than his own family - seeing that no one from Nargothrond bothered to come to his rescue when the news of his capture must have reached them). Beren would be the one witnessing this and passing on the message of the decree to the families in Nargothrond once his is back in Doriath or even before when he is in Brethil recovering.

I do like that. It ties the issue up in a neat bow. It'll depend on if there is a natural place to put it, but I'll try to keep it in mind.

I do like that. It ties the issue up in a neat bow. It'll depend on if there is a natural place to put it, but I'll try to keep it in mind.

If we see Inglor die as one example of the companions being killed and we before have been shown little Gildor kissing him good-bye at taking leave from Nargothrond, then Iglor's death would be a natural place for Finrod to declare this in a moment of bitterness and grief. But I am not yet sure how exactly the deaths of the comrades will be handled in the end? There were several ideas, as far I do remember.

Last edited:
If we see Inglor die as one example of the companions being killed and we before have been shown little Gildor kissing him good-bye at taking leave from Nargothrond, than Iglor's death would be a natural place for Finrod to declare this in a moment of bitterness and grief. But I am not yet sure how exactly the deaths of the comrades will be handled in the end? There were several ideas, as far I do remember.

Yeah, the issue is that our focus in the scene is on Finrod and Beren. The death of the other prisoners happens off-screen but nearby. Let me get the thread for the episode in question started and we can discuss it there.

If we follow the suggestion that Guilin is one of the companions, that does put us under some obligation to introduce Gwindor now - I seem to recall us kicking the can on that to this or next season but since Finduilas has been introduced I don't see too many issues with it. We don't know much about his life (the Lay of the Children of Hurin puts him in Nargothrond while Turin is there, but it's a passing mention and never returns in the later tellings afaik).

Back