Recent content by Milthaliel

1. Milthaliel

Frodo won't let Gollum swear "on" the precious

That is an interesting one! I found that little thread too while looking around for clues, but I like your take on it. I'm sure Gollum would have lots to say about the benefits of the One Ring if he could get it back. ;p
  2. Milthaliel

No, I agree, I don't think it's a matter of Frodo trying to protect Gollum from making his oath - I think it's something that he knows it's a promise that Sméagol will actually keep. It's a way for Sam and Frodo to be able to sleep around Sméagol without worrying about being strangled in the...
  3. Milthaliel

This is the first time I paid as close attention to the words - a side effect of "Exploring the LOTR" class I think. But I think you're right, it's a matter of keeping the ring out of Gollum's hands.
  4. Milthaliel

I'm re-reading LOTR this year, and I have reached The Taming of Sméagol. Frodo has just insisted that Sméagol not swear "on" the Ring. He can swear "by" it, but not "on" it. It's clearly an important distinction for Frodo, but the difference is lost on me. Is it because Sméagol would have to...
  5. Milthaliel

Farmer Maggot and Tom Bombadil diction connection?

When we talked about Farmer Maggot this week, I noticed something I never caught before. (That keeps happening in this class! XD). When our heroes come to the farm, Maggot says, "And who may you be, and what may you be wanting?" It sounded very "Tom Bombadil-ish" to me, so I went forward and...
  6. Milthaliel

Sailing, Sailing, Sailing

This is wild! It DOES work surprisingly well, and most of it actually falls into "hobbit meter" (iambic tetrameter). !!!
  7. Milthaliel

Lest terror keep you from your journey

It occurred to me while listening to this part of last week's class that Gildor might have been exactly right about keeping details of the ringwraiths a secret. I remember feeling like Frodo every time I read this passage - Gildor's hints and warnings are worse than any knowledge! But when...
  8. Milthaliel

BINGO NITE LIVES!!!

Yay!!! Thanks so much, I'll add a reminder for myself. :) I'll probably have to just watch and listen, I'm still trying to level up to 25 to meet Bingo in the Lone Lands XD.
  9. Milthaliel

BINGO NITE LIVES!!!

Is Bingo Night still happening?
  10. Milthaliel

Benefits of digging deep

Right! I can see why you might have thought it, too, it's possible! Especially since the "let them pass" happens in the chorus part, so it can be why the song changes from talking about "us" to saying "them". But it's so easy to get stuck assuming it's one way and never even try to look at...
  11. Milthaliel

Benefits of digging deep

Posted this over on Narnion's page, but thought I would put it here, too, in case people want to join me in nerding out. :p I am SO excited about last night's class! I have been a fan of Tolkien since I was a kid - going on 30 years of loving him now. I've never skipped the poems. I've...
  12. Milthaliel

Benefits of digging deep

Comment, rather than question, but I am SO excited about last night's class! I have been a fan of Tolkien since I was a kid - going on 30 years of loving him now. I've never skipped the poems. I've always enjoyed them, sometimes memorized them, used them as calligraphy practice. But I've...
  13. Milthaliel

Pippin's name

Lol, that phrase just tickles me because I strongly associate it with Pippin, and it sounds like someone talking about his biggest exploit yet.
  14. Milthaliel

Pippin's name

Thanks, Cithrin, this is great! Juicy, detailed stuff, I love it. And I can still officially compare Pip and my falcon to each other, since their names came from the same place! Thanks for including info about Frodo's name, that's great info as well - true to Frodo's experience. I love the...
  15. Milthaliel

Pippin's name

I was surprised by the discussion of Pippin's name, because when I first looked up the definition of Peregrine years ago, I found the word defined as a small strong falcon, rather than a wanderer. I guess the alternate definition wasn't included, because I don't even remember reading it and...
Back