Recent content by Rauþúlfr

1. Rauþúlfr

Stooping like a cloud

I believe I can explain this unusual simile. One of the advantages of a lot of backpacking is exposure to a lot of weather, particularly exposure to oncoming weather fronts. It is difficult to convey how small a person feels when you are in the mountains and look up to see a wall of cloud both...
  2. Rauþúlfr

Merch Ideas

To invite the double entendre , what about a Shakespearian reference: Ecce Signum! - Henry IV, Part 1, William Shakespeare
  3. Rauþúlfr

Unmasked?

They probably compound each other. I should note I don't see blood as involved, rather the transition from a yammering spirit being transformed.
  4. Rauþúlfr

Unmasked?

That's possible, although given the way things work, I suspect that chanting rather than breathing would be involved.
  5. Rauþúlfr

Unmasked?

Flammifer said: "I very much like Professor Olsen’s supposition that the Nazgul ‘unmasked’ might have lost all bodily aspects, becoming pure spirit, with virtually no perception of the world, and no option but to return to Sauron, who could ‘mask’ them again." What would 'masking' the Nazgul...
  6. Rauþúlfr

Did Tolkien feel the Sorrow of the Elves?

Thank you! That's a great answer.
  7. Rauþúlfr

Did Tolkien feel the Sorrow of the Elves?

Something crossed my mind as we discussed the Even rings. If we look at Tolkien's distain for the changes wrought upon his world for the sake of progress, do we see the constant impulse of Elvenkind to long for the days of yore as something of his own longing for his own bucolic past. We see...
  8. Rauþúlfr

Homework: Why would the Valar not receive the Ring, according to Elrond?

While we don't see Elrond present evidence for either deduction or intuition, let's consider what it is safe to presume that he does know. Elrond knows what it took to move the Valar to intercede and bring Morgoth's reign to an end. It took a very special set of circumstances of a child of human...
  9. Rauþúlfr

Glofindel, Bombadil, & Gondolin

As is so often the case as Narnion guides us through LOTR, as we considered Glorfindel's words immediately echoed back as never before. No one in the Council of Elrond knows more fully the folly and indeed ultimate futility of attempting to hide something from the enemy. Turgon sought to hide...
  10. Rauþúlfr

Merch Ideas

Balrogs have spiritual wings?
  11. Rauþúlfr

Merch Ideas

We could also go with one which doesn't quote the text: Intelligent Fox is not a spy.
  12. Rauþúlfr

Merch Ideas

I think we need a quote from Intelligent Fox "‘Hobbits!’ he thought. ‘Well, what next?" An idea for an image which someone creative could use as inspiration is a fox reading from the Book of Hours (MMW), Den Haag: Ms. 10 F 50, fol. 6r (It can be found on wikipedia. Fuchs.margin (MMW10F50 f6r)...
  13. Rauþúlfr

For Isildur's Bane shall waken,

DMae, it's not a trivial point. It might be that he was just seriously resisting the thought at first, and slowly succumbed to the temptation when Amon Hen sort of created a pocket where Sauron's "area effect" was magnified. (Fortunately for us it also created a pocket that magnified Gandalf's...
  14. Rauþúlfr

Seek for the sword that was broken

I love where this is going! Good points, all. One distinction I would make is that it's unlikely that Ringil would have been given the demonstrative pronoun of broken Narsil's designation. So I suspect that while the English is vague on the point, it would read "Go look for the sword which was...
  15. Rauþúlfr

Seek for the sword that was broken

There is that, and it is a good point(. My original post was something of a response to a question Narnion raised in the discussion. To paraphrase: Why were they told to seek for the sword which was broken why not is broken? Both were true of the sword until they reforge it. Significantly, it...
Back