Recent content by Taurandeth

1. T

"It might well prove impossible"

Here is the text that was discussed a few weeks ago: To this all agreed, but their retreat was now difficult. It might well prove impossible. Only a few paces from the ashes of their fire the snow lay many feet deep, higher than the heads of the hobbits; in places it had been scooped and piled...
  2. T

"It might well prove impossible"

It may well be possible that Tolkien as the translator of the story shifts here to the historic present to produce tension. However, as he does this only rarely - as was pointed out - isn't it also possible that might is here used as the past tense of may? Thus it would be just an ordinary sentence.
  3. T

Call for Volunteers!

My name is Kathrin, aka Bill Stickers, from Germany. I currently teach Latin in a grammar school. I discovered the Tolkien Professor around the time ExLotR started and have listened ever since, though usually asynchronously. I do not have any tech skills to speak of but I am interested in...
  4. T

I wish I was ...

... always as sure about grammar as now. Unfortunately I am not but I remember this rule very well, as it is not very often that British English is less formal than American English. The grammar book for the preparation to the Cambridge Exam states: "In British English, we can use both was and...
  5. T

Sauron and Gollum and Gollum’s escape?

When Sauron had tormented Gollum and learned everything he could, he could have killed Gollum or kept him as a prisoner but instead he lets him go. Why? It may be that he, like Gandalf, has the notion that Gollum still has ‘some part to play yet’. But opposite to Gandalf he does not add ‘for...
  6. T

Hunting Gollum & Ring Lore (a timeline)

In my edition of LotR (Harper Collins 2002, 1 Volume) it says '3009: Gandalf and Aragorn renew their hunt for Gollum'. For me that sounds as if they had started the hunt before (probably right after Bilbo's party) but interrupted it, because they weren't successful and also had ofther things to...
  7. T

Naming a reborn elf

If I understood correctly, the parents of a newborn child don't know if he/she is a reborn and if so, whose fëa the child carries. So the child does not get the name the fëa had before. But we also learned that a child finds his/her own name after a while. Is it possible that this name is the...
  8. T

Elves have children when they are young?

As far as I understood, Tolkien wrote the 'Laws and Customs among the Eldar' after the publishing of the LotR, in order to explain some of his protagonists' backgrounds. The only 'Elf-children born in the Third Age that we know of, however, are Elrond's children - and neither he nor his wife...
  9. T

Isildur's Bane

Though every word of the Council of Elrond so far was duly discussed, there is still something I do not understand: Why is the Ring called Isildur’s Bane? Elrond says: “But soon he was betrayed by it to his death; and so it is named in the North Isildur’s Bane.” As we have read ‘The Disaster of...
  10. T

Was it really Fëanor who made all the palantiri?

I've just been listening to the discussion about the script for episode 8 that includes Amrod and the palantir. I love that story and was happy that it got approved, but when I thought further about it, a question came to my mind: If the palantir that Amrod found is the last one, because Morgoth...
  11. T

What does Strider do for a living?

Corey mentioned in the last stream that Butterbur probably thinks Strider was a highway robber or something like that to make a living. I’m sure we can safely assume that Strider is nothing like that but this leaves the question: What does he do for a living? The rangers don’t farm or have...
  12. T

Impact of the proposed Amazon Project on the Silm Film Project

I very much hope you do not really consider to stop the SilmFilm Project for an Amazon project - SilmFilm is far too awesome for that! This was my initial reaction and I still would like SilmFilm to go into season 4. However, having thought a bit more about it I have to say that jumping forward...
  13. T

Elendil's Tomb in Annúminas

Why would Elendil have a tomb in Annúminas? He died very far away from there in Dagorlad. Did they bring his body all the way up to burry him there? And if they really did that wouldn`t it have been Isildur's task to do so? And isn't there a story in 'Unfinished Tales' that Elendil's tomb was on...
Back