Recent content by TThurston

1. T

Questions for Gryfflet's Adventures

I generally watch Gryfflet's adventures episodes on youtube rather than live. Is there someplace to ask questions that Corey might answer during his adventures with Gryfflet? Is this perhaps the place to do so?
  2. T

Legolas, light running, and the Fianna of Celtic myth

Regarding small people and footprints, you've got me there. Hobbits would leave footprints. But still, the text of Lord of the Rings seems to pretty clearly describe Boromir and Aragorn as the only candidates for heavily pushing their way through the snow in contrast to Legolas running lightly...
  3. T

Regarding Dictionaries... and the dwindling of the elves

Watching Gondor Gambolling 59, I'm amazed that Corey never mentions the OED. After all, he is the Tolkien Professor. Based on my expereince, it's sort of a let's look at the all that all they ways this word has been used through history and see if we can use all these sources to figure out what...
  4. T

Woses

Last night I watched Gondor Gambolling 58, in which Gryfflet becomes acquainted with Woses, and Corey raised a number of questions regarding their history and naming. I found the Wikipedia article on Druedain quite instuctive. I had not realized that they orginated in the east; part of them...
  5. T

Legolas, light running, and the Fianna of Celtic myth

I've said it before and I repeat it now. When I first read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings back in the 60's in 8th grade or so, I encountered much that suggested to me that Elves were slight of build and small of stature. Consider Legolas running over snow, or lightly running along a rope...
  6. T

What might be the answer to Gandalf's question which Strider did not answer?

I have not yet heard Corey's analysis of this question. However, I do have some thoughts. First, and mostly simply it is an element of suspense created by the author to add dramatic interest to the narrative. It might be simply a device by Tolkien as author to create a sense of peril. Or it...
  7. T

Regarding Boromir

After last week's discussion regarding the merriment in the secluded glen and whether that merriment included Boromir, I've been thinking. As far as I understand, the original plan was for Boromir to leave the fellowship at some point to go to Minas Tirith and Aragorn planned to accompany him...
  8. T

Regarding Yondershire...

I just watched Gryfflet's visit to Yondershire, and thought I might contribute a tiny bit (not really related to Lord of the Ring, but to the online game). The stablemaster in the far east on the road to Evendim is not near any buildings at all, but it is at the golf links - not quite in the...
  9. T

A silly question

Yesterday I was running around Ergion, looking for Small Elf Statues, and I thought it strange that LOTRO did not make it clear. Was it Small-elf Statues, or Small Elf-statues? They do make this distinction clear many other places in the game, especially regarding berry bushes and such. Is there...
  10. T

Glorfindel's Advice to Frodo at the Ford and Frodo's Departure at Parth Galen

I'm surprised no one has mentioned an interesting question posed above: did Frodo include the Legolas and Gimli with those he could not trust, or those he trusted? He has known Boromir, Legolas, and Gimli about the same amount of time, since he was introduced to them at the council of Elrond. He...
  11. T

Glorfindel's Advice to Frodo at the Ford and Frodo's Departure at Parth Galen

I've been listening to the BBC radio dramatization of the Lord of the Rings. Today it was the flight to the ford, and I particularly noticed Glorfindel's counsel to Frodo, "I doubt very much, he said, if your friends would be in danger if you were not with them. The pursuit would follow you and...
  12. T

On the fading of the Elves

Another bit from the first chapter of Puck of Pook's Hill: "... you're a fairy, said Dan. Have you ever heard me say that word yet? said Puck, quickly. No. You talk about the People of the Hills, but you never say fairies, said Una. I was wondering at that. Don't you like it? How would you...
  13. T

On the fading of the Elves

Listening to Corey's commentary this week on the fading of the Elves, I was reminded of an account of the departure of fairies from England in Kipling's Puck of Pook's Hill, first published in Strand Magazine in 1906 when Tolkien was 14. I know Corey has stated that it is pointless to consider...
  14. T

The star "Earendel" detected by Hubble Space Telescope

I found this report interesting: Nasa report on Earendel The report says that this is a new record for the farthest star ever seen. Apparently, the name means "morning star" in Old English. I wonder if the folks at NASA who assigned the name might possibly be familiar with Earendil of Tolkien lore.
  15. T

A real world equivalent for "Ranger"

Not quite on topic, but sort of ... Back when we were discussing Bilbo's fairwell song I thought quite a bit about other music in the story, beginning with the Unexpected Party. Other than Thorin's harp, the other instruments seem very much like what I would find with a wandering gypsy band, or...
Back