Words (to) puzzle over

Bill_the_pony

I’ve always loved Gandalf’s words in The Shadow of the Past, and like you did in episode 8 of LORTO, I choose to read them as“‘I wish it need not have happened in my time,’ said Frodo. ‘So do I,’ said Gandalf, ‘and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given TO us.”

However, my kindle edition omits the word “to” in the last sentence: “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” If memory serves, my childhood books also omitted it, so I don’t think it’s an error.

What are your thoughts on the effect of this? It’s always bothered me. (Ditto for “builded” in “deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone.”)

I’ve always loved Gandalf’s words in The Shadow of the Past, and like you did in episode 8 of LORTO, I choose to read them as“‘I wish it need not have happened in my time,’ said Frodo. ‘So do I,’ said Gandalf, ‘and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given TO us.”

However, my kindle edition omits the word “to” in the last sentence: “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” If memory serves, my childhood books also omitted it, so I don’t think it’s an error.

What are your thoughts on the effect of this? It’s always bothered me. (Ditto for “builded” in “deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone.”)
"builded" is archaic- it makes sense for ancient stones to use an archaic form - they remember ancient times... https://thecontentauthority.com/blog/builded-vs-built"

How To Use “Builded” In A Sentence

The word “builded” is an archaic form of the word “built”. It is rarely used in modern English and is considered outdated. However, it can still be used in certain contexts, such as in literature or poetry, to give a more formal or old-fashioned tone to the writing.

Here are some examples of how to use “builded” in a sentence:

• “He builded a magnificent palace for the queen.”
  • “The ancient civilization builded impressive structures that still stand today.”
As you can see, “builded” is used to describe past actions of constructing or creating something. It is important to note that this word should not be used in everyday conversation or writing.

ancient stones would not use modern word forms... would feel out of place.

The early editions had 'given us', not 'given to us'. (All my editions, which are early, have 'given us'.) So, if there are any editions which print 'given to us', I would consider them a later editorial or typesetters error.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given TO us.”
I couldn't make any sense of the stress on "to" until I read the replies; it didn't ring any bells because I've never read an edition that included that word! "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." is the sentence as I know it.

I read it with the stress on "given", but putting the stress on "do" also makes sense. A bit less Gandalfian though, I think.

I couldn't make any sense of the stress on "to" until I read the replies; it didn't ring any bells because I've never read an edition that included that word! "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." is the sentence as I know it.

I read it with the stress on "given", but putting the stress on "do" also makes sense. A bit less Gandalfian though, I think.
Boromir, a man of action, might have stressed the 'do'. Gandalf, a wizard of estel, is far more likely to have stressed the 'given'.

Back