Calls for Papers

Arnorion

Total newbie question, but is there a calendar or listing of the major Tolkien journals/conferences posted somewhere? I know a few names (Mythlore, JoTR, etc) but I'd like to get a clearer view of all the main forums for Tolkien/Middle-earth scholarship. Any advice or info would be helpful, thanks!

And thanks so much for posting these calls for papers; very helpful!

Kris Swank

Total newbie question, but is there a calendar or listing of the major Tolkien journals/conferences posted somewhere? I know a few names (Mythlore, JoTR, etc) but I'd like to get a clearer view of all the main forums for Tolkien/Middle-earth scholarship. Any advice or info would be helpful, thanks!

And thanks so much for posting these calls for papers; very helpful!
Sorry for the delay in answering, Anorion (I'm on extended leave and only checking in occasionally).
I'm not aware of a calendar for major Tolkien events, but it is a GREAT idea! Most of the biggies are held in the summer, I suppose for ease of travel and general delight, although Mythgard/Signum has Moots year-round.

I would love it if someone put on together.

Kris Swank

CFP: Tolkien Studies Area (TSA) Popular Culture Association PCA Annual Conference
April 5-8, 2023,
San Antonio, Texas

CFP Special Topic: Tolkien's Borderlands
(see attached flyer)
The goal is to expand the previous scholarship on borders by considering how Gloria Anzaldúa's concept of the Borderlands, first explored in her 1984 book, Borderlands/La Frontera, can be applied to Tolkien's legendarium, Jackson's films, Amazon's Rings of Power, or fan creations (fiction, art, vids).

Area Chair: Robin Anne Reid, [email protected]
Submission Link: https://pcaaca.org/conference/2023
The submission deadline is December 20, 2022.

Attachments

Kris Swank

CFP: Medievalism in Popular Culture
PCA/ACA 2023 National Conference
April 5-8, 2023, San Antonio, TX (In-Person)

The Medievalism in Popular Culture Area (including Early to Later Middle Ages, Robin Hood, Arthurian, Chaucer, Norse, and other materials connected to medieval studies) accepts papers on all topics that explore either popular culture during the Middle Ages or transcribe some aspect of the Middle Ages into the popular culture of later periods. These representations can occur in any genre, including film, television, novels, graphic novels, gaming, advertising, art, etc. For this year’s conference, I would like to encourage submissions on some of the following topics:
  • · Medievalism in YA Literature and Fan Fiction
  • · Medievalism and Intersectionality
  • · The Arthurian World
  • · “Medieval” as a social and political signifier
  • · Medievalism in Television (e.g., The Last Kingdom, House of Dragons, etc.)
  • · Medievalism in Film (The Green Knight, Outlaw King, The Last Duel, etc.)
  • · Robin Hood
  • · Medievalism and Teaching (especially remote/distance education strategies)
  • · Board Games (e.g., Coup, Carcassone, etc.)/Online Gaming and/or Cosplay
  • · Anglo-Saxon or Viking Representations in Popular Culture
  • · Medievalism in Novels/Short Stories/Poems/Graphic Novels

If your topic idea does not fit into any of these categories, please feel free to submit your proposal as well. I would like to encourage as much participation as possible, and depending on submissions, I may rearrange the topic groupings.

All papers will be included in sessions with four presenters each, so plan to present on your topic for no more than 15 minutes, inclusive of any audio or visual materials.

Panel submissions are also welcome on any topic of medievalism. If you would like to propose a panel, please submit your complete panel to me directly at [email protected]. Individual papers will then have to be submitted to the PCA online system (see below).

Submission requirements:

Please submit a title and a 250 word abstract to http://conference.pcaaca.org. All submissions must be directed to the online database.

Deadline for submission: December 20, 2022.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Christina Francis, Professor of English, Bloomsburg University, at
[email protected].

Arnorion

I'm not aware of a calendar for major Tolkien events, but ... I would love it if someone put on together.
This is my first attempt, focused on recurring events for now and laying aside journals, monographs, one-time events. Thoughts? I understand that it can be difficult to draw clear boundaries around something like this given the different interests involved but I'm hoping I haven't left out any of the biggies. Content follows in comment. Single-page file attached with additional event/conference details, but format requires work.

Major recurring events of interest to the Signum/Mythgard community of scholars and devotees - a visual representation of regularly recurring Tolkien-relevant events for general academic awareness and personal/professional planning purposes; assembled from various e-sources
  • Jan: none showing for Nov to Jan
  • Feb: MAA Annual Meeting at Washington DC (this year) 23-26 Feb 23
  • Mar: none
  • Apr: Tolkien in Vermont 2023 at Burlington 1 Apr 23 -and- PCA/ACA National Conference at San Antonio (this year) 5-8 Apr 23
  • May: CFF GIFCon at Glasgow scheduled 10-12 May 23 -and- ICMS 58th Congress at Kalamazoo 11-13 May 23
  • Jun: Signum University MythMoot at Leesburg 22-25 Jun 23 (projected)
  • Jul: IMC-2023 at Leeds 3-6 Jul 23 -and- MythSoc 53rd MythCon at (city TBD) 29-31 Jul 23 (projected)
  • Aug: none
  • Sep: Tolkien Society 50th OxonMoot at Oxford 1-4 Sep 23
  • Oct: DTG 19th Tolkien Seminar outside Leipzig 27-29 Oct 23 (projected)
Note: running lists of CFPs are maintained by Becky Dillon (International Tolkien Fellowship on Facebook), Robin Reid (tolkien-on-the-web.dreamwidth.org), Tom Bolton (Green Book of the White Downs on Blogspot), Anna Smol (annasmol.net), Kris Swank (forums.signumuniversity.org/), and Eric Mueller-Harder (tolkienists.org)

Note: other conferences exist but are either not yet well established, fluctuate through the year, or are held in languages other than English, and therefore not generally accessible to English-speaking would-be scholars.

Attachments

Kris Swank

Arnorion, I think that's a pretty good list!

I can only think to add at 2 at this time:

1.) each year (in May) right before ICMS at Kalamazoo, the "Tolkien at Kalamazoo" group holds a 1-day Tolkien Symposium also in Kalamazoo, Michigan. For more info: https://www.facebook.com/groups/119241118286629/ or Anna Smol https://annasmol.net/tag/kalamazoo/ .

2.) each year (in July) right before the IMC at Leeds, the U.K.-based Tolkien Society holds a 1-day Tolkien Society Seminar also in Leeds, UK. For more info: https://www.tolkiensociety.org/society/events/seminar/ .