Dante and LoTR and other fiction

Cryios099

I was talking with my mentor at Church about fiction and here is what I said.

In your previous email you mentioned every single major great literary achievement of fiction except my three favorites. I thought that was so funny. 1. The lord of the rings. 2 Dracula 3 The Godfather. The only part about Dante's inferno I liked was the people in hell cause their own suffering. I found this true in real life on many occasions. I never read Dune or Paradise Lost or Moby Dick. I didn't read Pilgrim's progress but I did read A Pilgrim's regress. I never understood what Lewis was driving at. I prefer Screwtape letters or Abolition of Man. I watched Indian jones as a kid as well. I only remember the last crusade. I stopped watching star trek but the Borg are cool.

I think you are correct that Dante's Inferno doesn't fit the style of fighting a mighty dragon. Focusing on internal conflict is not bad it is just something I never enjoyed. I did find something interesting about a week ago. I always thought that the Hero and Protagonist were the same thing just using different words. Just like Antagonist and Villain and I was wrong. The Protagonist drives the story forward usually making the decisions or doing the main actions. The hero is the one doing things usually involving the most sacrifice in service to others. The Protagonists in The Lord of the Rings are Gandalf,Aaragorn and Frodo but the Hero is Sam.

Back