Nature of Middle-Earth - Eldarion's pause

Odola

Eldarion's "age pause button" is necessitated by the LOTR story.

It is described that Aragorn decides to die when Eldarion is fit to reign.

In order for Arwen to have any real time to enjoy as queen Eldarion has to be delayed in his ability to take up reign.

Untill now I always thought Eldarion was the youngest of Arwen's and born relatively late in the marriage. This cannot be now as he is now the starting point of Arwen's transitioning into the Numenorean aging scheme, so he has to be born relatively soon after the marriage and be the firstborn. So he has to be prevented to mature too fast so that he doesn't grow to old before Aragron decides to die.

Last edited:
Eldarion's "age pause button" is necessitated by the LOTR story.

It is described that Aragorn decides to die when Eldarion is fit to reign.

In order for Arwen to have any real time to enjoy as queen Eldarion has to be delayed in his ability to take up reign.

Untill now I always thought Eldarion was the youngest of Arwen's and born relatively late in the marriage. This cannot be now as he is now the starting point of Arwen's transitioning into the Numenorean aging scheme, so he has to be born relatively soon after the marriage and be the firstborn. So he has to be prevented to mature too fast so that he doesn't grow to old before Aragron decides to die.

Hi Odola,

I question the interpretation that 'Aragorn decides to die when Eldarion is fit to reign'. I assume the passage you are thinking of is Aragorn saying, "For if I will not go now, then I must soon go perforce. And Eldarion our son is a man full-ripe for kingship." (Appendix A)

I do not interpret this as Eldarion is just becoming old enough to reign. I would interpret, 'full ripe' as 'Eldarion is getting older than he should be when first becoming king (because I have lived so long). Soon he will be 'past ripe'' (rotten?)

Instead of 'Aragorn decides to die when Eldarion is fit to reign', I would suggest, 'Aragorn decides to die when Eldarion is much older than when he might have expected to be crowned, and he might be getting somewhat impatient'.

So, although your notion would be a neat reason for JRRT musing on the strange course of Eldarion's growth, it does not fit with my interpretation of the passage in TLOTR Appendix A.

Hi Odola,

I question the interpretation that 'Aragorn decides to die when Eldarion is fit to reign'. I assume the passage you are thinking of is Aragorn saying, "For if I will not go now, then I must soon go perforce. And Eldarion our son is a man full-ripe for kingship." (Appendix A)

I do not interpret this as Eldarion is just becoming old enough to reign. I would interpret, 'full ripe' as 'Eldarion is getting older than he should be when first becoming king (because I have lived so long). Soon he will be 'past ripe'' (rotten?)

Instead of 'Aragorn decides to die when Eldarion is fit to reign', I would suggest, 'Aragorn decides to die when Eldarion is much older than when he might have expected to be crowned, and he might be getting somewhat impatient'.

So, although your notion would be a neat reason for JRRT musing on the strange course of Eldarion's growth, it does not fit with my interpretation of the passage in TLOTR Appendix A.
For sure Aragorn wanted to avoid our today's Prince Charles' situation. The easiest way to avoid it would be to let Eldarion be born late but this would necessitate a younger Arwen. But she would be younger in life years if she started to get older during Eldarion's gestation first, which also would make her younger at her death which would explain her not yet be ready to die herself. Actually imho the full Numenorian rate would work fine for Eldarion - as in him the Elros' bloodline was renewed. Why make his children live shorter? It must be a 4th Age thing: the elves are leaving, the Age of Men has begun, the Earth seems to have started to spin faster, time flows faster now, no elvish magic strong enough left in ME to slow it down for us.

Last edited:
Back