Till We Have Faces - echoes of other works

Bruce N H

Hi all,

As we've been reading through Faces together, I've seen a lot of echoes of other works, either earlier works that may or may not have influenced Lewis, later works that may or may not have been influenced by Lewis, or other Lewis works that (unsurprisingly) use similar phrases, images, or ideas. I figured I'd start a thread of these and invite others to add to it. I don't have any huge conclusions other than observations, but I'm sure Corey would note that several of these could be the starting point for a compare/contrast moot paper.

Okay, and in no particular order:

Very early in the book in chapter 1 we are introduced to Ungit: "In the furthest recess of her house where she sits it is so dark that you cannot see her well, but in summer enough light may come down from the smoke-holes in the roof to show her a little. She is a black stone without head or hands or face, and a very strong goddess." Much later in section 2 chapter 2 we will learn that Ungit had "not, like most sacred stones, fallen from the sky. The story was that at the very beginning she had pushed her way up out of the earth." This reminded me a lot of A Wizard of Earthsea, with "the precious stone called Terrenon". Serret takes Ged down to the deepest dungeon and shows him "a heavy unshapen paving-stone: yet he felt the power of it as if it spoke to him aloud. And his breath caught in his throat, and a sickness came over him for a moment. This was the foundingstone of the tower. This was the central place, and it was cold, bitter cold; nothing could ever warm the little room. This was a very ancient thing: an old and terrible spirit was prisoned in that block of stone." I can't find my copy of Tombs of Atuan, but I also remember there being similar notes between the worship of Ungit (e.g. we learn in chapter 9 about the annual ceremony where the priest of Ungit fights his way out of the temple so that the new year is born) and the Kargish ceremony described there. (BTW, I hope that someday we continue our look at Earthsea in Mythgard Academy with Tombs and Farthest Shore, maybe also Tehanu, though I don't remember being as moved by that book).

This one isn't so specific, but at many places the voice of Psyche has reminded me of the Green Lady of Perelandra - they both have that sense of total innocence but also great wisdom beyond their years. (BTW, I hope that someday we continue our look at the Space Trilogy in Mythgard Academy - Perelandra is certainly one of my favorites of Lewis' works).

At the end of chapter 9 and the start of 10 Orual meets Psyche across the stream. In class Corey talked about the echoes of the Pearl, where a father meets his deceased daughter in a vision standing on the other side of a stream (BTW, I hope that someday we cover Tolkien's translation of Gawain, the Pearl, and Sir Orfeo in Mythgard Academy). I haven't read Pearl (though it's sitting over there on my shelf), but I was thinking of another work that had a huge influence on Lewis, Dante's Purgatoro. Spoiler alert, but when Dante gets to the top of Mount Purgatory, he meets a woman across a stream. "I halted, and I set my eyes upon / the farther bank, to look at the abundant / variety of newly—flowered boughs; / and there, just like a thing that, in appearing / most suddenly, repels all other thoughts, / so great is the astonishment it brings, / I saw a solitary woman moving" They speak across the stream, and later she helps him cross the stream to meet his beloved. (BTW, I hope that someday we continue our look at Dante with Puragorio and Paradisio.)
I also was highly reminded of Jill meeting Aslan at the start of the Silver Chair. This is again in a paradisal setting by a stream, though in this case the beloved is on the same side of the stream (BTW, I hope that someday we continue our Lewis journeys with the Narnia books in Mythgard Academy.)

We've already talked about this in class, but when Orual can't see (or refuses to see) the palace of the God of the Mountain in front of her it is very much like the dwarfs in the Last Battle who refuse to see the paradise around them. (See previous note about hoping we cover Narnia in Mythgard Academy.)

The invisible servants in the palace of the God of the Mountain reminded me a bit of the invisible Dufflepuds in Dawn Treader, though the Dufflepuds are so much more fun. (See previous note about seeing previous note about reading the Narnia series in Mythgard Academy)

When Orual can't accept that there is a real palace, Psyche must be either lying or crazy. This echoes the discussion of Peter and Susan with the Professor in the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe about Lucy's story of entering a magical world. The professor tells them "There are only three possibilities. Either your sister is telling lies, or she is mad, or she is telling the truth. You know she doesn't tell likes and it is obvious that she is not mad. For the moment then, and unless any further evidence turns up, we must assume that she is telling the truth." This is also a fictional setting of the "lord, liar, lunatic trilemma" that Lewis sets out with regard to Jesus in Mere Christianity. (Do I need to even say it? See the previous note about seeing the previous note about seeing the previous note about the Chronicles of Narnia and Mythgard Academy.)

Anyway, that's what I have for now. Anyone else have additional examples of echoes?

Bruce / Bricktales

PS - I think I just laid out 15 books for future Mythgard Academy classes. If I live long enough to get to "Well, I'm back" in Exploring maybe I'll also be there to get through all of these books in Academy. If not, I'll meet you all under Niggle's Tree in the great beyond for further discussions. Oops, I just added another book to the list, the Tolkien Reader, though I suppose we'd have to do Tales from the Perilous Realm (but maybe add Homecoming just because it's so different from the rest).

Last edited:
I feel like Macdonald also does some version of lying, crazy, or telling the truth. And if so, Lewis clearly gets it from him. I'm trying to remember where it is, though - likely Princess and the Goblin? When Curdie can't see the thread?

(BTW, I hope that someday we continue our look at Earthsea in Mythgard Academy with Tombs and Farthest Shore, maybe also Tehanu, though I don't remember being as moved by that book).
Tehanu is, I think, deliberately ambiguous, and so it is less-satisfying as a novel. Leguin was bothered by "weak as women's magic; wicked as women's magic", but the big question of what is the proper role of women in Earthsea society and in magic is left mostly unanswered in Tehanu: LeGuin wrote somewhere that she didn't know what happens next in Earthsea. But much later, she did write more, and brought things to a conclusion that more than fully-empowers women and that strikingly reminds me of Pullman's in The Subtle Knife.

Add another couple of novels and four or five shorts if you want to be completest about Earthsea!

I'm reading the Space Trilogy for the first time in many decades, and I'm looking forward especially to That Hideous Strength. I always thought that one was weird and difficult. But now that I've read some Charles Williams, I think I am more familiar with the kind of weirdness it has, and I wonder if there was some cross-influence there.

MithLuin, I think you're right about Princess and the Goblin, though it's probably been 30 years since I read that.

On Tehanu, again it's been years, but I felt it was spotty.
I really loved the whole vibe of Ged and Tenar at the end of adventures living a quiet life. It was sort of an elaboration from the line at the end of Furthest Shore - "He is done with doing. He goes home." but also wrapping Tenar into that. But I was completely underwhelmed with the "reveal" that Tehanu was somehow a dragon. It had been so heavily foreshadowed that I thought it would somehow lead to something. But instead it was like the old dragon shows up and says, "Hey kid, your're a dragon. Ta-dah!" and then it's the end. Like that's literally in the last couple of pages IIRC. It's like if Sorceror's Stone ended right after Hagrid said "Yer a Wizard, Harry." and we never even get to Hogwarts, much less fought Voldy and had six more books.
Anyway, I never went back to the additional Earthsea books, just reread the original 3 every few years. I guess I'll have to do that sometime, and also watch the anime.

Hideous Strength is another mixed one for me. I always felt it was muddy but with flashes of pure brilliance. There are certainly scenes and passages that often come back to me.

Bruce / Bricktales

Back