Why did Boromir throw the rock into the pool?

Flammifer

Frodo asks that question. "Why did you do that, Boromir"? Boromir does not answer.

So, why did he do it?

Boromir is 'spooked' by the pool. He fears it (for no rational reason). He just has a feeling that it is ominous. "How I hate this foul pool!" Boromir is also anxious and frustrated by the situation. He did not want to go this way. Gandalf (and circumstances) insisted on doing it. Now Gandalf seems to have failed in getting the door to open.

Boromir is a man of action. Now it might be that he throws the rock into the pool just in a way to act in the face of frustration and anxiety. He may throw the rock as a sort of ineffectual attack on the pool.

However, another interpretation might be that Boromir throws the stone as a challenge. "All right foul pool. You feel dangerous! If you are, bring it if you dare! Let's see just how tough you are! You face Boromir here!"

The stone thrown into the pool is sort of the equivalent of the gauntlet slapped across the face. "You want to Insult me? Scare me? Threaten me? Come on then! Here stands Boromir! Do your worst!"

Back