YouTube Uploads for Season 4

Phillip Menzies

Staff member
So it is a new season for SilmFilm, season 4 in fact. To start it off I have rehashed one of my earlier compositions. This was my second composition and looking back it was very short, so I have fleshed it out a bit more, improved the audio by using my orchestral library rather than a midi file, added some impressive artwork and some text from Tolkien himself. I hope you enjoy this bigger and better version of Varda.

Phillip Menzies

Staff member
It is amazing how a commission can inspire one. I have been struggling with about 3 or 4 tracks for months but as soon as the hosts announce "Phillip Menzies, we need a musical track for dragons and the dragonhelm" well it just seems to pour out of me. So here it is, Dragon/Dragonhlem. It is very ambitious and I have really gone to town on the video, more than usual, but it indicates what was going through my head while I was working on it. Dragon is based on a five note downward scale and the chord progression starting with a minor chord based on these notes. The dragonhelm is based on the same chord progression but this time starting with a major chord, much slower and majestic with more and more instruments joining in with variations to imply how the dragonhelm inspires, finishing with the theme being stated again with horns. The two are linked by a short transitional piece in the middle with scenes of Glaurung from the Dagor Bragollach. I may make this onto a dwarf piece.
I hope you enjoy Dragon Dragonhelm.

Phillip Menzies

Staff member
Here is another piece inspired by the bad guy discussion on the Spell of Bottomless Dread. I have tried to get into the head of the elves who have the spell cast upon them and show the trauma they experience. The first image evokes an external threat (albeit in their imagination), the second is Morgoth with already established Melkor themes and finally the face of terror that experiences the dread. I have used my already established Melkor themes and this piece is a variation on those. You will hear the four slowly rising bass notes, only half of Melkor's theme. The other signature part is the braying trumpet triplet, the timing of which is now a bit uneven. As Melkor puts his will into others he is starting to fray at the edges. This triplet once loud and strong originating with Melkor will eventually musically disappear in scenes with him as he leaves nothing for himself. The screeching violins are an effect on my Garritan Virtual Orchestra which I am using to good effect. Underlying the whole piece is the drum beat which sounds like a heart beat. At the end the only thing that can be heard is the heart beat and the screeches signifying that as long as the person can hear their heart beat they will still experience Melkor's dread. This is a disturbing piece so I won't say enjoy it.

Phillip Menzies

Staff member
Here is a new SilmFilm tune. Hope!
I have gone back quite a way for this one probably because I have been working on it for months. After I did the Girdle of Melian and worked out Theme 1 for the Ainulindale I was struck by a small motif which leaped out at me as being significant. I have taken this motif and worked it into a new theme which shows that Hope was there in the Iluvatar's original plan for the music. Being hope, it is intrinsically associated with Estel, young Aragorn and may end up being his theme throughout the rest of the series.

Last edited:

Phillip Menzies

Staff member
What better way to start a weekend than with some tunes. I have two that go hand in hand. The first is a rehash of my tune for Manwe that I published very early on in SilnFilm. I have remixed it so it is not a midi file anymore but has been run through my virtual orchestra to give it more realistic sounding instruments. I have also fiddled with the dynamics and slightly with the instrumentation to give it a more rounded sound. I have redone this one now because it relates directly to the next one I am going to publish. Here is Manwe with some artwork by Bre.

Last edited:

Phillip Menzies

Staff member
My real tune this week end is this one which I have called Resistance is Fruitful. It is based on Manwe's theme and is a variation. Fragments of Manwe's theme play throughout. Effectively this is my second theme for the Ainulindale, at its core is resistance to Melkor. It needs to be strong to break through Melkor's discord but in the end it cannot overcome Melkor as the elves find out over time. This will be an important theme in /season 4 of SilmFilm underpinning the siege of Angband. I hope you like Resistance is Fruitful.

MithLuin

I agree that Corey Olsen will have a tough sell on that one! But maybe think more poetry reading than rap battle to get the feel of it....an emphasis on the sound of words.

Phillip Menzies

Staff member
I have just uploaded another tune for SilmFilm, the anthem for season 4, OF BELERIAND AND ITS REALMS. I have been working an this one for quite a while trying to get the sound right. It is a bit jaunty, but I have reduced the jauntiness from what it was.
As the host of the Noldor set in for the long Siege of Angband they spread throughout Beleriand to hem Morgoth and his forces in. This piece does a quick round up of who rules which area of Beleriand. Although this will never be presented in this form in any episode it gets across the idea that whenever a scene shows the Noldor and their allies creating their realms this music would play.
For those attentive listeners you will hear that this is a variation of the Girdle of Melian theme which refers back to the original theme 1 from the Ainulindale (which I have not produced yet if you were to go looking for it). This is based in sub-creation, creating things that are meant to be and expressing the true nature of Iluvatar's original plan.

Phillip Menzies

Staff member
Here is a commission from the SilmFilm hosts during one of the creative sessions. Rather than a theme for "people in love" they asked for a theme for "laughter and joy which fades all too soon". Well finding a name for that took almost as long as it took me to write and arrange this. I have called it Evanescent Lightsomeness and let me tell you my dictionary and thesaurus got a really good workout. It features the stories of Finwe and Miriel and of Beren and Luthien.
So about the piece. It is in a major key but it goes down a lot with high jumps of joy. It features a solo cello which gives it a tone of lonesomeness and an alto flute which is lower than expected for the flute. Near the end it moves into a series of minor chords for a really dark moment in the Beren and Luthien story before ending with the ultimate fate of all mortal romances. I think this is one of my best ones yet.

EVANESCENT LIGHTSOMENESS
I have re-uploaded the video with some modifications to the audio. I was not getting enough echo on the principal instruments. It is sounding less harsh now.

Last edited:

Phillip Menzies

Staff member
I have been working on this one for weeks. It is The Hiding of Valinor a whopping 8 minutes long as it takes in the last 8 minutes of the final episode of Season 3 from the Rising of the Sun through reactions in Middle Earth, the hiding of Valinor including the making of the "Enchanted Islands and the raising of the Pelori. It has the resolution of the frame story with Estel returning to Rivendell and I have added on the Waking of Men that I did last year as the very final scene. I have a detailed description of the story as shown and a musical description after the link:

This is my longest piece of music to date, a whopping 8 minutes. This represents to the final scenes of the season 3 finale of the Silmarillion Film Project by Mythgard and the Tolkien Professor. The action relocates to Valinor where the Valar have been deciding the doom of Middle Earth. The sun rises for the first time in the west with the maiar Arien bearing the sun on its journey. Life erupts in Middle Earth and the Noldor and Sindar look on in wonder. Morgoth’s creature are dismayed and shun the light and Morgoth cowers in the depths of Angband. The Valar begin the task of walling off the Blessed Realm from Middle Earth. They create the Enchanted Islands as a ring of defence, a place of confusion where sailors lose their bearings and if they alight on the islands will fall asleep only to awaken at the end of Arda. They raise the Pelori to unimaginable heights as a barrier and lock themselves in. Vaire gives us a tantalising glimpse of the future against the backdrop of the Ban of the Valar. The frame story of Estel running away and being found by the sons of Elrond comes to an end as they near home, Rivendell. Estel is reunited with his mother Gilraen and his future is pondered by the wise. The final scene is the teaser for season 4, the Waking of Men. As the sun rises for the first time the camera follows a woman as she wakes and the adventures of men begin.

Musically this piece has a little of everything and is lots of small pieces strung together. The scene begins with the Doom theme morphing into Manwe’s and Varda’s themes as they decide the fate of Middle Earth. Valinor Rising theme begins to play signifying creation in Valinor. The music of the sun rising is from the birth of Laurelin as the flute steps its way upwards and a new theme, Arien rises borrowing notes from Laurelin. The note steps are left behind as Arien is revealed in all her glory. As new life comes to Middle Earth Yavanna’s theme plays. Arien’s theme makes slight change as she establishes herself and the notes step down now sung by voices of the Children of Iluvatar and she borrows notes again on the down step when the elves of Middle Earth look in wonder. The chords change to menacing stepping up dominated by brass as the sun has its effect upon Morgoth’s creatures and they flee. Finally, Morgoth’s triad plays somewhat raggedly as he cowers in a ray of sunlight. As the action moves again to Valinor we get once again Valinor Rising, this time in a minor key to indicate the change from beauty to pragmatic defensive creation. This section featuring the Valar in action is notable for the timing which alternates between 4 and 3 beats per bar, giving the creation a rushed, staggered feel. The music goes through a challenging transition to the next section, the creation of the Enchanted Islands featuring Este and Irmo’s themes. The enchantments placed upon the islands place mental confusion followed by sleep upon the recipients, this time enforced and not a gift of healing. This piece mixes major and minor keys, uses wind sound effects, harp and chimes to give an uneasy effect. The theme transitions back to Valinor Rising in a minor key with the brass bringing up the slowly rising Pelori which is unresolved. As Manwe and Varda issue the Ban of the Valar, a new theme The Ban sounds, made up of two items, a horn call made from the first two notes of the Grief of Man (Strange Gift) and three peals of the same note from the tubular bells indicating the Call of the Eldar which is a common pattern for the tree kindreds. A final resounding chord plays as the screen goes blank. Vaire is revealed creating a tapestry backed by a soft, mystical rendition of the Silmarils theme with a new theme played over the top (Wingelot) foreshadowing the ending of the ban by Earendil in his ship and her tapestry showing a single star.

The resolution of the frame story is told with Estel returning home after his adventures with Eladan and Elrohir. The theme Hope plays at a slower pace indicating the reflections on his time away from home and his reuniting with his mother.

The final piece The Waking of Men starts with tremolo strings and the slow playing of the Gift of Iluvatar theme (Strange Gift), building to a crescendo with the human voices taking over and ending with a musical climax.