A further reason for Frodo’s resistance at the Ford

Alitake2

Hello,
I have just listened to episode 92- nearly caught up!- and have an alternate explanation for Frodo’s sudden burst of energy and defiance where he calls on Luthien and Elbereth.
This occurs directly after the Nazgul chant “The Ring, the Ring”- could Frodo’s response be driven by protectiveness of the Ring? I mean protectiveness born from the instinctive, unhealthy obsession the Ring causes, and which is seen many times throughout the story.
Certainly in other places, specifically in the journey through Mordor, it is clearly shown that a threat to Frodo’s possession of the Ring will push him into action, even when he is near death.

Not as pleasant an explanation as the Inspiration one, but plausible in my eyes,

Thanks,
Ali

Hello,
I have just listened to episode 92- nearly caught up!- and have an alternate explanation for Frodo’s sudden burst of energy and defiance where he calls on Luthien and Elbereth.
This occurs directly after the Nazgul chant “The Ring, the Ring”- could Frodo’s response be driven by protectiveness of the Ring? I mean protectiveness born from the instinctive, unhealthy obsession the Ring causes, and which is seen many times throughout the story.
Certainly in other places, specifically in the journey through Mordor, it is clearly shown that a threat to Frodo’s possession of the Ring will push him into action, even when he is near death.

Not as pleasant an explanation as the Inspiration one, but plausible in my eyes,

Thanks,
Ali
I see the thinking here, but II also see the difference in the character of that resistence. When Gollum's attack on Mt. Doom spurs Frodo's flagging spirit into sudden fury, there is nothing elevated about how he fights. By contrast, at the Ford, Frodo's flickering courage expresses itself with defiance yes, but without the despairing and almost animalistic character that the latter fight shows.
Now, it would be entirely plausible to say that Frodo, being further gone in Mordor has fewer resources to call upon. He has lost all that is dear to him in memory, cannot see images of sunlight, fellowship and love, cannot even remember the taste of food, or feel of water. It could be then that, at the Ford, he still retained enough of himself, even while beginning to succumb to the wound, to have his defiance retain the heroism it holds, while in Mordor, there is just nothing left to call on other than sheer power, stoked by the Ring itself.
Cool thought, thanks for starting this topic.

Back