A seed of courage

Lincoln Alpern

There is a seed of courage hidden (often deeply, it is true) in the heart of the fattest {ha-ha, Tolkien} and most timid hobbit, waiting for some final and desperate danger to make it grow.
This, to me, is one of the most moving passages in the trilogy. I'm sure I'm not the only reader who interprets hobbits as a stand-in for people like myself and the folks I know. Little people who don't lead larger-than-life lives, and aren't named in the history books.

Much of our culture is awash with narratives whose implicit message is that heroism is reserved for a tiny minority of larger than life personalities - the equivalent of an Aragorn or a Gandalf - upon whom everyone else is totally dependent when desperate danger comes. This story could've easily been one of those narratives, presenting Frodo and company as exceptional hobbits - which of course they are, but lines like this, and Gandalf's comment back in chapter 2 that Frodo wasn't chosen to be the Ring-bearer due to "any merit that others do not possess: not for power or wisdom," highlight the point that this potential for great heroism exists within all of us, not a specially chosen few.

It also meshes well with the philosophy of essayist Rebecca Solnit, who in 2009 wrote a book about natural disasters, times of desperate danger if ever there were any; and their tendency to bring out the courage, generosity, and fellow spirit of the majority of ordinary people - hobbits, if you will - who live through them. Pretty neat, I thought.

Back