About Aragorn's broken sword

Rachel Port

I've listened to all the episodes. I started months ago, and haven't listened in order, but started with the parts I like best, and doing a few at a time. I've listened to many of the episodes more than once. Sometimes I've talked or shouted at the screen, so I'm very glad you are now on YouTube.

One time I talked at the screen is when Aragorn showed his sword to the hobbits at Bree. I've always assumed he was carrying it to Rivendell to be re-forged, that he knew the time was coming for him to prove himself. (Always means since 1966, when I first read the books.) This would mean he keeps it somewhere else, doesn't always carry it - I imagine in his battles with Rohan and Gondor he has used another sword, and does not always carry Narsil. So I was surprised when this was discussed in class and this possibility never came up. Is it that far out there?

Last edited:
He pretty much has to have another complete sword, whether or no he carries Narsil around 24/7. In his line of work a man without a full defensive arsenal is at a serious disadvantage. I do not remember tha idea being mentioned n the class, although I listen at work while I work and might have missed it.

In the episode "Aragorn Revealed" someone asked about Aragorn traveling without a primary weapon, and then there was some discussion with several theories posed. It's an interesting discussion, and worth listening to again if you don't remember it.

Back