All That is Gold Does Not Glitter (song)

Harnuth

I realize this is not sung in the text, but the inspiration struck me for this setting last week, and I quite like how it turns out.

If anyone is up for collaborating with me on additional lyrics to flesh this out into a 2-4minute song, please let me know.

I don't know if Corey wants to refrain from replying to threads in the Questions-for-Corey area or not, but I'm guessing it'll be easier on him if we continue discussions over here, so here I am! )

Wow Steve, this seems to be one song that must be written. It could go in several directions, so I'll ask: Are you thinking of developing it into a biographical sketch of Aragorn, or perhaps further treatment of the same topic as "things of great value don't always come in shiny packages?"

I was thinking the second option. I'd like to do another verse or two along these lines, or perhaps turn this into a chorus with 2-3 verses to support it. Your thoughts?

Ohhh... thematic ideas, with no attempt to be lyrical about it...

Heroes don't always look heroic. Example: hobbits.

Even evil deeds can have good consequences. Example: Gollum falling into the Crack of Doom with the ring.

The greatest peril might be lurking around you when you feel safest. Example: The rangers protecting the borders of The Shire, lulling the Shire Folk into a false sense of security.

Innovation often comes where it's east expected: Example: Bullroarer Took inventing golf.

Nobility is not the sole province of the aristocracy. Example: Samwise Gamgee​

I had tried to write something that was a bit of a call-back to the scene with Bombadil and the king coming at the end of a long line, with a star on his brow, but it felt trite (or at least like it wasn't working for me). I could see it going any of the places you mention, too. Here is what I was working on before, for a second verse:

Some of them still go a-wandering
The sons of forgotten kings
Guarding the folk that are heedless
From dark and evil things.
On an endless expanse of ages
There strode the shapes of Men
And following all of the others,
The star-browed king of them.

Back