Audio issues

Yard Sard

Apologies in advance for a technical gripe in lieu of something cerebral.

I've been noticing lately that there's a deep bass noise thrumming in the background of the audio stream. It comes and goes; you can hear it going gangbusters at 49:00 in Session 171 if you have speakers or headphones with bass. I do, in all the situations where I listen, and this noise is so loud and overpowering it threatens to subsume Corey's actual voice. It's a rapid, pattering noise, except way down deep. THOOM-THOOM-THOOM-THOOM-THOOM

(no I haven't tossed any pebbles into any bottomless wells lately)

I've been looking up the Youtube versions of the sessions to try to track down what this is, to correlate it with what I'm hearing in my car or on the gym speakers when it suddenly kicks in and then a few minutes later goes away. I thought it might be typing noise, like maybe the microphone isn't isolated from the keyboard; but I hear it while Corey is gesturing visibly on camera with both hands, so that can't be it. I thought it might be someone else's audio stream being muxed in while waiting for the field trip to start, but it happens in the Mythgard streams too, so that doesn't seem likely either.

This noise happens throughout like 75% of all the ELOTR/Mythgard streams lately and it hasn't shown any signs of going away through the recent equipment changes. I was hoping Corey or whoever handles the audio setup and mixing could look into this and see what's going on?

Thanks...!

I edit podcasts for my wife (search Soundcloud for WRFI Human Rights Show or listen at wrfi.org Fridays at 4:00 Eastern US). Since COVID we've been recording remote interviews using Cleanfeed.
I ALWAYS send the signal through a high-pass filter. For women's voices, I use a 6db/octave rolloff starting at 100 Hz. (For deep-voiced men, I use 12db/octave starting at 50Hz.) Her older laptop always introduced a nasty 90Hz hum (5400 rpm hard drive!) but the new one is better.

Back