Birthday Presents

StarrySkyGazer

It's either very late and I'm tired, or perhaps someone else will think this a great thought too..

Bilbo has his 111st birthday party and invites almost everyone in the Shire; and we know that it is in part to make giving up the ring easier.
But for some reason I never fully put this implication together. Bilbo follows the hobbit tradition of giving away birthday presents to his guests rather than receiving/taking/accepting gifts. Tolkien breaks up the talk of presents into two parts. The dwarves toys before the party, and the relatives' gifts after. By the time we get through the party scene and into the next morning, my association with the gifts change. Bilbo includes notes to his extended relations, so I had associated the "leaving" with inheritance/bequests, rather than BOTH birthday gift and inheritance.

But hey, wasn't that the cover story for the party? Bilbo and Frodo's birthdays...Isn't the whole inheritance thing kind of a parting shot for Hobbiton?
Tolkien never out-right has Bilbo call the ring his "birthday present," but the parallel to Gollum Territory, hits REALLY close to home. Bilbo gifts Frodo the ring and the house - Bilbo's most treasured (dare I say) "precious" items. On his birthday. Without saying it, Bilbo symbolically calls the ring his "birthday present"! WHHHAAAAAT. why. why. why didn't I ever notice that? (Sneaky Tolkien) It's all right there, under the floorboards.
Good thing Gandalf is a wizard and not a...well, Deagol.

And yet, Bilbo's choice to give, rather than take, seems to be his saving grace. It's the Shire Hobbits who end up acting gollum-ish.
Just like in the Hobbit, rather than hoard a precious gem/dragon gold, Bilbo gives the treasure back to the dwarves and shares it amongst elves and humans. In LOTR, he gives a celebration for not just himself, but his nephew and for the benefit of his whole village (Lobelia excluded), rather than demand something from another. Bilbo's goodwill (both in character and generosity) seem to be as fundamental to his "preservation," as pity/empathy. Oh and Middle Earth too. :)

Thoughts? Rebuttles?
You're in Mad-Baggins territory?

Last edited:
Back