Considerations for class 236

ArnoleIstari

This is only coming out a few hours before class, but I thought(at least for myself and perhaps for others) it would be a good idea to look at what we will go over next in class. Looking at the next paragraph from where we ended I caught three points that may be worthy of discussion:

1) Merry/Hobbitry: Merry is the first that calls out Strider for his absence from the fire and his aloofness from everyone else. I find it funny that he asks the same question we all were last session: where is Aragorn look at/for? His statement of missing the East Wind bring up something curious. We know that in Gondor that the East Wind is a foreboding omen(Aragorn mentions this when he doesn't sing about the East Wind for Boromir's death) Where did Merry get this omen? Do the hobbits have a similar metaphor for the East Wind in their tales? or is this something he's picked up from Aragorn and Boromir over the past few weeks while they were traveling? Either way, it strikes of hobbitry that he asks Aragorn that he is missing the wind of ill-boding. Aragorn is short with his answer, and it strikes me that he isn't even attempting to engage back, he is simply answer forthright, as if he is too preoccupied to engage.

2) "I sense something...A presence I've not felt since...": Aragorn's missing of the birds and the ground seems to echo back what Legolas says about his connection with the land, although on a more mundane or less spiritual level. Analogies to The Force aside, do we think this is simply Aragorn's skill as a tracker and hunter noticing the movements of the animals? Or does this hearken back to his elvish heritage? We know that he has foresight from the lineage of Elros, so maybe he has something of what Legolas has in miniature. I personally think it's a little bit of both. Noticing the birds silence would make anyone pause who is knowledgeable in woodscraft. And saying that the ground echo's feels like what Legolas says about the stones being aware enough to remember.

3) "I've been everywhere man...": Aragorn says he's been in the country of Hollin for 'many seasons' which is just another indication, although a brief one, of just how well traveled Aragorn is. At this point in the story we know he's a great hunter and tracksman, but he shows here that he's not only traveled this area, but traveled it extensively.

I'm sure there are many other things that I've missed, but glancing over that small paragraph brought these three to the forefront for me.

Back