Does Aragorn "cloak" his appearance?

Enoch_Arden_5

Throughout all three books, Aragorn is usually described as looking travel-worn, lean, and not particularly lordly or kingly; but at times people seem to see through that façade and realize that he is in some ways different than he usually appears. I believe this happens when Frodo sees him at the place where Aragorn spoke to Arwen in Lothlorien. It also happens with Eomer when Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli meet Eomer while hunting the orcs, and when Aragorn is crowned he is given this description: "But when Aragorn arose all that beheld him gazed in silence, for it seemed to them that he was revealed to them now for the first time. Tall as the sea-kings of old, he stood above all that were near; ancient of days he seemed and yet in the flower of manhood; and wisdom sat upon his brow, and strength and healing were in his hands, and a light was about him."

Is Aragorn "cloaking" his power and authority and appearance most of the time in a similar way to Gandalf? If so why, and why wouldn't he reveal that to Boromir at the counsel if that were the case? I've never understood the way his appearance seems to change at times, and I was wondering if what the explanation is, if there is one. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have always assumed so (at least, since I was old enought o understand what that means). I feel like he can sort of cloud others' perceptions, like the Shadow did. As to the why, heirs unapparent live longer than heirs apparent. :)

Back