Fight Choreography

Ange1e4e5

Having grown up watching fantasy films like the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Pirates of the Caribbean and as a fencer in my high school and college years, I'd like to start a dedicated thread on fight choreography.

I also developed a rudimentary choreography sequence for a sparring match between Fingolfin and Maedhros in Season 4.

Maedhros' First Point: As the bout commences, Maedhros scores an attack 3 (right side of opponent) to the inside of Fingolfin's sword arm.

Fingolfin's Two Points: First an attack to the outside of Maedhros' left arm, followed by parrying Maedhros' blade with his shield and making a cut at Maedhros’ right flank.

[Exchange of parries and ripostes]
Note: this is easier to simulate with Fingolfin being a right-handed swordsman and I will mainly be working with the Sabre version of parries, so Attack 3 is to the right of the opponent, Attack 4 to the left, Attack 5 to the head, Attack 2 is the right lower body (rarely used).

So Maedhros will start this exchange with an attack to the weapon arm, Fingolfin parries, then ripostes to the head; Maedhros parries, then cuts to Fingolfin's left, Fingolfin wards off the blow with his shield, then attacks Maedhros' sword arm, but Maedhros parries and scores on an inside cut to Fingolfin's sword arm. Point 2 for Maedhros.

Fingolfin Third Point
: a straight out of the gate strike to Maedhros' helmet. More speed than anything else.

Fingolfin Fourth Point: Parries an attack to his leg, then ripostes to Maedhros' left leg. Point Fingolfin.

Maedhros' Third Point: Drops (does not land on his knee), wards off an attack with his shield and scores an outside touch on Fingolfin's knee. Follows up with an attack to the opposite side, but Fingolfin moves his leg back and Maedhros falls.

Follow up: Fingolfin scores last point on Maedhros' outstretched arm.

Back