Goldberry's Washing Day

Upon reviewing the text for tonight's class, I came across a question that has always bothered me a little bit and a new detail that I had always overlooked.

The Question: What does it mean for this in-text day to be "Goldberry's Washing Day"? Tom tells us that it's her washing day and her autumn cleaning, but what is being washed and cleaned, exactly? Maybe it's the forest, but then what about this day belongs to Goldberry specifically?

We previously concluded, as suggested by Aerendis, that Goldberry is not a river spirit but a flower spirit, so how does this washing day connect to that interpretation? Frodo hears Goldberry singing a rain song, full of the tale of the river from highland spring to old man river, running into the sea. Did Tom pluck the last of the water lilies yesterday, so now the remnants of the dead lilies are being washed down to the sea?

My previous interpretation was that Goldberry had sung up this rain storm to clean the world, but if she is a flower spirit and not a water spirit, that would make little sense.

The Observation: Tom and Goldberry have changed their clothes! This may seem a minor detail. Each of us changes our clothes every day, after all, but in previous classes, we saw both Tom's and Goldberry's clothing intimately bound up with who they are.

Tom's change is relatively minor. He's still wearing blue, but we're explicitly told that it's "blue as rain-washed forget-me-nots". He's also exchanged his yellow boots for green stockings. This change is particularly striking, given Goldberry's change in attire. Tom has incorporated some of Goldberry's colors into his own clothing.

At the beginning of the chapter, "[Goldberry's] gown was green, green as young reeds, shot with silver like beads of dew; and her belt was of gold, shaped like a chain of flag-lilies set with the pale-blue eyes of forget-me-nots." After her washing day, "the hobbits saw that she was clothed all in silver with a white girdle, and her shoes were like fishes mail."

Perhaps the change reflects the coming winter. If the first frost came the night before, killing the last of the water lilies, it might explain why Goldberry is now clad in winter colors. And then perhaps Tom's colors reflect hope for the spring and the return of the lilies to the pool where he found Goldberry.

The Conclusion: Given the rather conspicuous change in clothing immediately after washing day, it seems likely that the two are related. Did a frost kill the lilies so Goldberry is now washing their 'bodies' down the stream? That might explain Tom's urgency the previous day if he needed to collect lilies before the frost killed the last of them. However, Tom himself tells us that he is no weather master, so would he have known that a frost was coming, if indeed that happened?

How do you understand the change in clothing and its connection to the events of the day?

Last edited:
I certainly think that the change of clothing is significant; I'm sure we'll discuss it. Goldberry's shoes of fishes' mail does connect her quite strongly back to the river. And Tom is described with the forget-me-nots that Goldberry had on her belt at the beginning of the chapter. To me, it seems that their change is partly to do with hospitality for the supper, like they are getting more properly attired for the occasion. Saying that, there could well be other elements to it.

I'm not certain the washing day information is exactly there. I seem to remember at some point Tolkien wrote: " I am in fact a Hobbit in all but size. I like gardens, trees, and unmechanized farmlands... implying he has a knowledge of taking care of gardens which means he would have known to winterize lilies you dig up the bulb and gently take off the dirty and then in what could be likened to a gentle rain...wash the bulb off and dry them (like laundry). Is this what is happening to Goldberry?

I'm not certain the washing day information is exactly there. I seem to remember at some point Tolkien wrote: " I am in fact a Hobbit in all but size. I like gardens, trees, and unmechanized farmlands... implying he has a knowledge of taking care of gardens which means he would have known to winterize lilies you dig up the bulb and gently take off the dirty and then in what could be likened to a gentle rain...wash the bulb off and dry them (like laundry). Is this what is happening to Goldberry?

That's an interesting thought, Georgiann. Goldberry isn't associated with garden lilies so much as water lilies, which I imagine must have different needs, but the idea of preparing for the coming winter rather than metaphorically weeping for the dying flowers does seem to ring true.

If you live in a cold enough climate, you do indeed pull up your water lily bulbs and store them over the winter to set out again in the spring. I've always thought of Goldberry's washing day and spring cleaning as the official change of seasons. It may not be the actual equinox, but perhaps the first rain storm after the equinox or after the first frost. That day would not have to be the same date every year.

Back