I wouldn't say I missethed it

Greetings from Istanbul... (Istanbulmoot?)
I'm catching up! It's been three months since I started listening and in that time I have:
a) Become a huge fan of Signum and everything that you do,
b) Joined LOTRO so I can attend in-game when the time is right,
c) Listened to 147 episodes... and I finally feel like I'm close enough to real time to ask a relevant question!

In Isildur's testimony he writes "the Ring misseth maybe the heat of Sauron’s hand". There was then conversation about whether Isildur was (a) personifying the ring's desire, or (b) accurately describing the ring's desire. I wonder if there is a third option: (c) that the word misseth here merely means "lacks".

Consider the below with lacks (lacketh?) in place of misseth.

"What evil it saith I do not know; but I trace here a copy of it, lest it fade beyond recall. The Ring lacks (lacketh), maybe, the heat of Sauron's hand, which was black and yet burned like fire, and so Gil-galad was destroyed; and maybe were the gold made hot again, the writing would be refreshed."

In this reading Isildur is not concerned with the sentience of the ring (which argument he can scarcely have conceived) but instead its physical properties and understandable reaction to its surroundings. Possible? Likely?

Many thanks to Corey and all the others (who I will not name in case I misseth someone by accident) for this entire series, and your attention to this post!

P.S. Please slow down! You keep on moving forwards and I haven't caught up yet.
P.P.S Joking
P.P.P.S Sort of

Welcome aboard LyndonLeaves,

I like your linguistic conjectures.

Here is my hypothesis. JRRT was very careful with language. I guess he was conscious of the possibility of using 'lacks' or 'lacketh' here, but chose to use 'misseth'. So, I suspect that the ambiguity of 'misseth' was deliberate. Part of an ongoing pattern of JRRT tantalizing his readers with the question of how aware or sentient was the Ring. I'm not sure if he ever clarifies this question one way or the other (we will have to see as we go on), but he teases at it in numerous instances.

I guess this is probably one such instance?

Back