"If that means anything to you"

Yard Sard

I think this is meant to be reas as of a similar harshness to Strider's previous insults to Butterbur—which is to say he means it, he's pretty genuinely annoyed, but it's also the sort of "you dumbass" kind of ribbing you'd get between good friends.

On this note, despite our having spent a lot of time on the "fat innkeeper" portion of that line, Corey keeps quoting "Who only remembers his own name because people shout it at him all day" verbatim, over and over, without any analysis. I'd think we should at least gloss this so we are sure of what he's saying: that Butterbur is stupid and incompetent. Right? And that's clearly pretty harsh, but also not true; just as "fat innkeeper" should not be dwelt on too much because "fat" isn't a mortal insult in Tolkien's context but rather just a statement of you'd-never-make-it-in-the-wild reality, the "you're so stupid you can't remember your own name, good thing you're also so bad at your job you are never allowed to forget your name" implication is also clearly not meant to be super-cutting because Butterbur is every bit as competent and respected as an innkeeper as Strider is as a woodsman.

It'd be one thing if Strider were slinging insults in which he has Butterbur dead to rights. But an F1 driver can call another F1 driver a slowpoke and no matter how earnestly he means it it's going to be somewhat defanged because of the nature of the people doing the name-calling.

to quote from Book 2, Ch 1, Many Meetings:
Frodo "I didn't know that any of the Big People were like that. I though, well, that they were just big, and rather stupid: kind and stupid like Butterbur; or stupid and wicked like Bill Ferny. But then we don't know much about Men in the Shire, except perhaps the Bree-landers"
Gandalf "You don't know much even about them, if you think old Barliman is stupid. He is wise enough on his own ground."

Back