Luck and LOTR

Milthaliel

One of my favorite topics in your exploration of The Hobbit is the concept of luck. Bilbo's status as "Luckwearer" is one of my favorite aspects of his story, and I enjoyed your discussion of the fact that even when Thorin's company seems to have awful luck, it turns out to be truly fortuitous (e.g. when they're captured in Mirkwood, and end up getting to the only viable exit through the forest). It seems like we can see this in a (VERY) macro sense in The Silmarillion, when Melkor tries to get control of the music, but "it seemed that its most triumphant notes were taken by the other and woven into its own solemn pattern".

Will you discuss luck in LOTR as well? Clearly, all of Middle Earth was "lucky" that Bilbo found the ring, and that Gandalf made the choices he made. Do you think you may have a class session dedicated to this concept, and how it shows up throughout the book?

Last edited:
Yes, we'll definitely talk about this as we go along, and it I'll come back to it more as it grows. We'll have our first discussions about this this week!

Back