Next steps - April 2022

Hi folks!

I would love to start setting some goals for content creation, editing, and collecting. There are several tasks that we can make good progress on before the website has been designed and is fully functional.

1. Transcripts
Let’s set up a structured team to start writing/editing and proofreading the episode transcripts. Several of you have done a great job so far trying out editing the YouTube transcripts. Let’s continue doing this, decide on a transcript layout that works for everyone, and start churning them out at a regular rate.

There are a couple of problems to solve, like how to spell usernames that are read out by Corey, and how to incorporate the text readings which could be an infringement on copyright, but these can be sorted out as we go. I also think that adding video timecodes to Tony’s existing summaries could be a useful thing to do, and this would be easy to do during or after writing out the transcript for each episode.

We will probably need a few more volunteers to sign up to be on the transcript team, as it will take a while to get through all 244 episodes (and counting)! Some of the episodes don’t have a YouTube transcript, so those episodes will need to be written from scratch by someone with sharp ears and quick hands.

Also, I know there are a few editors and proofreaders among you wonderful volunteers, let’s set up a transcript style guide to make sure we end up with consistency in the final products. Once we have a bank of transcripts ready to go, we can start proofreading.

2. Chapter summaries
For any of you who are interested in writing some material from scratch, this should be a fun task. It will be very helpful for those who are catching up now and in the future (and for those of us who need a refresher every now and then) to have chapter-by-chapter summaries of the major themes and discussion points, any particularly interesting discoveries, and perhaps some fun tangents or running jokes.

3. Vault of future questions
As we look back through past episodes to make transcripts and chapter summaries, it is a good opportunity to search for those questions we have raised that are still waiting for answers. We should collect those questions, noting them down with references to which point in the later text they will be relevant for. This will mean that once the website is up and running, someone can go through the vault before each episode to see if we have any old questions we want to address during that night’s discussion.

4. List of themes
We’ve made excellent progress with this, but as we go through past episodes, it’s a good time to see if there are any themes we have missed in our current list.

5. Theme pages
This might be much easier once we have the framework of the website ready to go, when we are able to hyperlink episode content to theme pages and vice versa, but it’s something we can start thinking about. We could start by writing a generic overview/introduction for each theme or category, and perhaps only start linking the episodes once the website is ready.

6. Forum integration
When a forum post is applicable to a single episode, these could be incorporated into Tony’s summary for that episode. When they are broader and relate to more than one episode, they can be put aside for now, or incorporated into the theme or chapter summaries we will be starting work on.

Everyone, please let me know your thoughts on these tasks, and put your name down for what you would like to participate in! We can set some more concrete goals once we know how many people will be contributing to each area, and what time capacity they have to contribute.

Thanks, Smaug! I finished transcribing Episode 17. I included references to the Episode Summaries with timestamps and also added those to my Episode 16 transcription. I used letters and numbers (A1,A2,B1,B2, etc.) to identify bullet points in the Episode Summaries.

I suggest we ask Tony to edit his Episode Summaries by adding letters in front of his headings and changing the bullet points (Unordered Lists) to numbers (Ordered Lists). I think that would make it much easier to refer to the Episode Summaries in our transcripts and in other content we develop.

Back