Nightfall for Frodo

I have recently caught up on Tolkien Professor podcasts and I'm finally able to start listening live (I listened to 9.5 years worth of podcasts in the past four months). There are a lot of questions I'd love to ask, but one that came to mind is from a recent episode, so I'd love to hear the Professor's thoughts on it.

In A Knife in the Dark, we are told that the Ringwraiths cannot see. "They themselves do not see the world of light as we do...". Strider goes on to clarify that they can see shades and shadows of men, which are only destroyed by the noon sun. He also indicates that "in the dark, they perceive many signs and forms that are hidden from us: then they are most to be feared." The picture Strider paints for the hobbits indicates that the Riders senses are weakest at high noon, and strongest at night. Professor Olson has noted that they seem to be strongest at the hour immediately preceding the dawn. (c.f. A Knife in the Dark, the Nazgul attack the house at Crickhollow in "the cold hour before dawn").

Given all this, why is it that Frodo's senses are most dimmed when the sun descends in Flight to the Ford? As he undergoes the "wraithification" process, we are told that he is becoming a wraith like them. His vision is clearly already being affected, given how he sees Glorfindel ("a white light was shining through the form and raiment of the rider, as if through a thin veil.") When he reaches the Ford, he "can see them clearly now."
Looking ahead, in Many Meetings Gandalf says that he was becoming like them, only weaker. As such, his vision and other senses should not have been dimmed when the sun was setting. Rather, his sight should have been dimming during the daytime, and his senses sharpened as the sun descended.

Am I missing something about how the process works? Why do his senses seem to be affected in the opposite fashion of the Ringwraiths, when he is, in fact, becoming like them? I appreciate any answers and feedback.

I don't think you're missing anything explicit about how the process works, except that we don't know explicitly how the process works. He could be suffering from a kind of spiritual whiplash or vertigo, and is most harshly affected during day/night transition periods; the transformation could be altered by the ring, or a certain extremely powerful elf-lord; it could be something else entirely. I say this because the notion of gamifying Tolkien's world naturally occurs to me, and I have to consciously work against it. There isn't a table balancing class abilities, buffs and penalties, etc.

This isn't an argument against curiosity or for ignorance--quite the opposite, I think it makes pondering these things perhaps more interesting. But I think we also have to accept that there isn't going to be a lore-Bible answer.

All of that having been said, I'm not sure there is a contradiction here, if we look to these passages:

"Frodo's pain had redoubled, and during the day things about him faded to shadows of ghostly grey. He almost welcomed the coming of night, for then the world seemed less pale and empty."

"The Riders seemed to sit upon their great steeds like threatening statues upon a hill, dark and solid, while all the woods and land about them receded as if into a mist."

Here at the end, as the sun sets, it seems to me that his senses are trending in a wraith-y direction.

I think we have also established that, while the scene at the Ford takes place in late afternoon, it's not sunset yet. The description of coming out of the cutting into what looked like a gate of light shows that there is sufficient daylight to create this effect. Had they arrived at or after sunset, then you could look for a change in Frodo's senses, though I've never been clear whether he actually sees better in the dark, or is simply less aware of the fading of the material world since it's less obvious. The description in Moria of the effects of the grim wound suggests the former, but a reader at this point in the text doesn't have that information yet.

Back