Punishing Sam Properly

Lincoln Alpern

I've been listening to the recording of the last Exploring the Lord of the Rings episode from three weeks ago, in which Gandalf's decision to appoint Sam as Frodo's companion on the journey was discussed. During the discussion, Corey brings up Gandalf's assertion that this will "punish you [Sam] properly for listening," and characterizes this as a bit of facetiousness on Gandalf's part, because of course he knows it's not really a punishment at all.

... Except, kind of, it is. Even though Gandalf doesn't know everything in store for Sam on the quest with Frodo, he can surely guess that it will involve some amount of danger, hardship, and sorrow. Sure, it's overall a great gift to Sam, but as gifts go, it ain't exactly an all-expenses paid vacation in the Bahamas.

In fact, I can't help be put in mind of Tolkien's assertion (in regards to the theologically implications of human mortality being characterized as a "gift" in his Legendarium) that all of God's punishments are also gifts. We might deduce that Gandalf operates under a similar logic.

I'm fairly certain Gandalf was intended by Tolkien to have been facetious there, in calling his 'command' for Sam to accompany Frodo a 'punishment'. He obviously knew who Sam was, his being close to Frodo, the Gamgee's having been a fixture of the Baggins' life at Bag End.

Surely Gandalf did know it would be a perilous journey, physically and emotionally, but he also knew that Sam couldn't care less about any of that even had he told Sam about all that was to come. In fact it would have only made Sam more eager to go so as to look after his dearly loved Frodo.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Gandalf's command (though in actuality nothing more than a request as he wouldn't have forced Sam to go) a 'gift' to Sam, except insofar as Sam himself would see certain aspects of his going on this journey a gift (namely seeing the things of legend he's long dreamed of seeing, and his being able to accompany his dear Master Frodo.) It's as much of a gift as it would be for you to allow someone to come along on their first ever ski trip that they've been forever eager to take, with your knowing in advance they are going to break their leg.

I agree with the Professor's analysis in class - Gandalf is being jokey and facetious, but I also think there's a kernel of truth to him characterizing the command as a "punishment," and I'm sure this multi-layered meaning is something which Gandalf, at least, is fully aware of.

A bit of an aside on this subject. LotRO has a wonderful bit of story around this idea.

... and I just typed and then deleted a large post about it, because it was full of spoilers, and I just couldn't force myself to do it. It's in the epic quest, and it's a wonderful bit of story to experience first hand. If you want spoilers, I'd be glad to share :).

You could probably post it with a warning to those who've not yet done the Epic (up through whichever point in it your post includes) that it contains spoilers. Perhaps post it in a new thread with the title "[Here is my Subject] : WARNING Lotro Epic Story spoilers. " Then at the top of your post indicate.... This post contains Lotro Epic story spoilers through (or from) Vol. # Book # Chapter #

Sounds like a good suggestion to me. Slap a spoiler warning at the beginning of your post/message and it should be fine.

Back