Script Discussion: S06E01 WE'RE BACK!!!!

Also, given the fact that Barahir moves a whole army through that area, I don't think the odd messenger would find it that impossible to traverse.

Depends which way. The pass of Anach is still free at that point, but the Northern way around Rivil's Well might be already placed with orish sentries. So the elven leaders in Tol Sirion might wonder why some messanger sent out to Dorthonion lately has not returned yet. This would give them the occassion to laudate Barahir's band in passing but also hint that an attack is imminient to the audience.

Last edited:
Depends which way. The pass of Anach is still free at that point, but the Northern way around Rivil's Well might be already placed with orish sentries. So the elven leaders in Tol Sirion might wonder why some messanger sent out to Dorthonion lately has not returned yet. This would give them the occassion to laudate Barahir's band in passing but also hint that an attack is imminient to the audience.

I kind of like that.

Concerning the camp dog:

My preference is for the caretaker to be one of the 'unnamed' (by us) background characters. You don't have to have a name or dialogue to hang out with the dog in the background, and it differentiates one of the nameless outlaws. We already have reasons to care about Barahir, Baragund, and Belegund when they die. Gorlim has a story. The dog gives us a reason to care about one of the 'nameless' dudes.

I am fine with naming the dog, though - after all, they'll want to call him something if we ever have someone call the dog!

My first suggestion is 'Narch' - it's Sindarin for 'Bitter-Biting' :p

My second suggestion is 'Methestel' - it's Sindarin for 'Last Hope'

My next suggestion is to lean hard into the Bill the Pony correlation. So, any elvish translation of the name "William" would do....
Ales Bican's "q u e n y a l a p s e p a r m a" is, naturally, a Quenya baby name list. http://www.elvish.org/elm/names/w.html
Sindarin would be the more appropriate language to use for the dog's name.
WILLIAM (m.) - Old Ger. 'will + helmet'; níra, selma "will"; cassa "helmet", thus Níracas or Selmacas (-casso in declinations), another possibility might be Mercas (with an element mer- "wish, desire, want"; this name is already used)

Sindarin for "helmet" would be "castol" or "thôl“
Sindarin for "will" is S. nidh n. “full vigorous purpose, exertion of will”

So, "nidh + thôl" would give us a Sindarin approximation of William.....and mean roughly 'hard-headed' or 'headstrong' :p

But 'Castol' would probably be easier, and would make sense if the dog had a large splotch of color on his head.

Last edited:
I managed to work around naming the dog in the episode 3 script before he gets sent off, but I could edit it in for sure. I rather like the Bill the Pony idea - "Castol" is nice but I would rather a more explicit suggestion if we were to go in that direction. "Nidhôl" would be at least somewhat retraceable to William, if "Castol" were chosen the association might be more to Helm the Hammerhand!

Of the other two, I prefer "Methestel".

[...] "Castol" is nice but I would rather a more explicit suggestion if we were to go in that direction. "Nidhôl" would be at least somewhat retraceable to William, [...]

"Castrol" is - due to the "st"- sound - difficult to say under one's breath so that no bystander hears it - I think the orcs would hear it if the hidden men were to address the dog giving him whispered commands. "Nidhôl" is imho much safer here.

Hmmm.

Well, apparently 'bill' can be slang for 'kiss' (I guess like 'peck'?)
And Tolkien used this in the Gnomish Lexicon.

So, 'mib' was a word for a little kiss, and he translated it as a bill.

It's not strictly speaking Sindarin...but this is a dog's name, so if you want to call the dog 'Mib' or 'Mibli', it would kinda be like naming him 'Bill'.....

And 'Mibli' sounds vaguely like the originally suggested 'Marley'....

The Beorians speak an adanic language, right? Beorian is not exactly Marachian which became Adunaic... but Adunaic for dog is Raba, male dog Rabô. So what about something like Raba, or Rabo?

English people don't typically name their dogs "dog" or even "perro", it would be strange to just name it "dog" in another language.

Okay, that's fair, but it's not like this is an especially important dog (no matter how important it is in our hearts).

It does make me wonder whether Huan is his original name... presumably not, unless he were an especially important dog for Orome. But that's unimportant right now.

Yeah they speak Sindarin, but do they speak it exclusively or do they still know a few words or terms frommtheir ancestors language? I mean germans call their dogs names such as Rex, Cäsar, Wotan..

No, I agree - most people name their pets something other than 'cat' or 'dog'. I do admit that I sometimes call my cat 'cat', or 'kitty cat,' but...she has a name, and I use that, too.

The main exception I can think of is the boy in 'It's Like This, Cat' who names his cat Cat.

Back