Still catching up, but ...

NancyL

I've only just gotten out of the Barrow Downs and a couple things struck me that you might want to comment on that I haven't seen elsewhere:
1. The way the hobbits were laid out on the slab reminded me of old burial customs where the leader was buried with his servants/wives/horses/goods/etc. I'm pretty sure this doesn't apply to this case, given the way they were dressed, but I figured it was worth mentioning.
2. When Tom lays out the treasure for all good natured creatures, he neglected to mention dwarves specifically (unlike elves and men). I wonder if he believes they're too greedy for gold to be good enough? Probably not but the exclusion struck me.
I'll get back to Bree now. Hoping to catch up to y'all someday.

In reply to your point 1:

The wraith is conducting some sort of ritual, designed to 'wraithify' at least one of the company (probably Frodo). This ritual seems to involve witnessing the sacrifice of some other mortals (some of the other Hobbits).

For a (tongue in cheek) description of the little that is known about this method of wraithification, see an old post of mine on one of the LOTRO forums called something like, "Three methods of Wraithification".

Thanks Flammifer, I'm still trying to get back into LOTRO. After getting two characters to/through Moria long long long ago I'd really rather use them than start over. But I was away so long they and their servers have disappeared. I'm hoping Standing Stone provides them with a way back soon-ish as I'd like to join in the fun y'all are having.

Back