The behaviour of the nazgul

Gravidy

In a previous class, when we discussed the nazgul's interactions with Maggot, a question came up about the nazgul's behaviour. Specifically, why was the nazgul being "polite" to Maggot? The discussion can be seen here.

I think it's possible that this nazgul is feigning politeness. I find it unlikely that the nazgul are stupid, in which case they know that arming the Shire against them would make their task more difficult. Attacking Maggot, or doing anything to raise alarm, would be noticed by a lot of hobbits who are likely nearby, which would not be helpful to the nazgul's cause.

But even more significant is the fact that they work for a guy with the title: "The Deceiver." It seems very likely that the nazgul are emulating their boss. It also seems likely that Sauron learned this strategy from his boss. Here's a quote from the Silmarillion: "And Morgoth sent out his spies, and they were clad in false forms and deceit was in their speech; they made lying promises of reward." Couldn't the nazgul's politeness simply be a deceit, to try and elicit help from Maggot?

A quick note to thank you for the thoughtful response to this in the last class. I find the nazgul very interesting, probably because we don't have a lot of explanation about them in the text. I have more questions about them, but that'll have to wait until 2022, which is when we should get to the battle at Pelennor fields ;).

Evil surely makes itself known in many different guises, and temptation can be just as powerful, if not more so, than brute force. Perhaps there is a bit of the carrot and the stick going on here. The implied threat of their imposing presence, coupled with the offer for gold. Either aspect of that encounter could be persuasive.

Back