the Council of Elrond vs Lunch for Bilbo

FloridaBear

As the council lasted for some time, with Bilbo getting hungry, I was reminded that he said "'It i 'Not that hobbits would ever acquire quite the elvish appetite for music and poetry and tales. They seem to like them as much as food, or more." what must have been the night previous.

I don't recall these being tied together in the class.
How does this fit with the hobbitry that takes place between Elrond and Bilbo? "The briefer, the sooner shall you be refreshed."
sounds like hurry up, and then the meeting keeps going.

As the council lasted for some time, with Bilbo getting hungry, I was reminded that he said "'It i 'Not that hobbits would ever acquire quite the elvish appetite for music and poetry and tales. They seem to like them as much as food, or more." what must have been the night previous.

I don't recall these being tied together in the class.
How does this fit with the hobbitry that takes place between Elrond and Bilbo? "The briefer, the sooner shall you be refreshed."
sounds like hurry up, and then the meeting keeps going.

I think hobbits eating habits is an ongoing joke since The Hobbit, when Bilbo keeps wishing he was home eating bacon and eggs whenever he is uncomfortable or annoyed. That's why Bilbo keeps joking self-depricatingly in the Council about speeding things up so he can get his meal. Elrond is just joking back. Clearly Bilbo is not serious about it or he would not have told his story with every riddle, obviously enjoying himself. The fact is, Bilbo has just figured out how serious the Ring is and is one of the most attentive people in the meeting.

But when Bilbo is talking to Frodo about his life in Rivendell he talks about his own growing love for music and poetry and tales, and how in Rivendell he gets it whenever he wants. But in the sentence you quote, he is explaining that he can't really feel about these things the way the elves do - for them, it's as necessary to life as food is. In other words, he is being serious. He and Frodo have that kind of relationship - they can talk seriously with each other without the defensive making jokes of serious things.

Back