The Grimness of Boromir

Flammifer

Grim: While today it might be used to mean stern, or mirthless, or dire, in the Northern tradition, beloved of Tolkien, and the tradition of Kingly Grimness, I think it also carries the implication of resolution in the face of dire or dangerous probabilities.

An example is from "The Battle of Malden"

"Mind must be firmer, heart the more fierce, Courage the greater, as our strength Diminishes"

I think the class got to this in the later part of the discussion (though none of the proposed opposites to Grim included this sense of resolution after a more optimistic recital of risks and opportunities).

What I think the class missed in the discussion on Boromir's Grim statement, was that Boromir is now operating with new data acquired since he said, "The Warg that one hears is worse than the Orc than one fears."

Boromir has just seen Gandalf the Grey uncloaked! Boromir may have heard somewhat of Gandalf's prowess during the Council of Elrond, but that is very different from seeing it with his own eyes in the battle against the 'Wolves' on the hilltop.

I do not think that Boromir considers being trapped between the Wolves and the Wall to be certain death. Dangerous and desperate, yes. But, the Company, chiefly Gandalf, has just comprehensively seen off the Wolves. Perhaps they can do it again? I think Boromir sees both options as dire, but neither as totally hopeless, and both dangers to be faced with Grim Resolution.

When Boromir says, "Lead on!" it is not only an affirmation of Resolution, but an acknowledgement of Gandalf's leadership (which he has been recently doubting and challenging), and a reflection of his newly boosted respect for Gandalf.

Back