The Ring goes swimming

Liefesa

Long ago, in a previous age (Session 6), the professor observed that "the Ring slipping off Isildur's finger into the river turns out to be a really bad move". And indeed it was (at least for the Ring). The discussion back in Session 6 mostly centred around figuring out the Ring's intent/volition and around the timing of it slipping off into a river.

What I wonder is whether we have evidence or data on the speed at which the Ring changes size, or the scale of the size changes it can undergo?

My thinking is that the Ring perhaps sensed a chance when the battle with orcs kicked off, or orcs drew near. At that point, intending to abandon or betray Isildur as quickly as possible (and while on land), the Ring either (a) began its growth process, or (b) rapidly changed size. If (a), then perhaps it only reached a loose enough size at the point Isildur had relocated to a river; if (b), then perhaps it was the vigour of swimming (with outstretched fingers) that shook it loose - prior to entering the river Isildur's Ring-hand would likely be holding a sword, or shield, or just be making a fist, keeping it in place even if it was loose.

I slightly favour the Ring's size changes being a gradual process (even if that's only, say, a minute). If the change in size was sudden it would be more likely to be noticed. Likewise, if the scale of size change was too great, the enlarged Ring would press against the neighbouring fingers, or otherwise draw attention to itself. A slow-ish, subtler change is more likely to go unnoticed until it is too late.

At least to me, the idea that the Ring fully loosened or began loosening earlier in the battle (and importantly, while on land and in easy view and reach of the orcs) seems far more likely than the Ring choosing the the river as an opportune moment to ditch its master.

Back