The witch king and borders

krabban

I've missed a few classes and just finished listening to the scene at the Ford of Bruinen.

A focal point of the discussion was the crossing of borders, partly Frodo's crossing into the wraith world/ to safety but also the witch king's passing over Rivendel's border.

It made me think of another time the Witch King crosses a border, namely in Minas Tirith, where he break open the gates with his dreadful voice.

In both scenes:
the Witch King stands up in his stirrups and breaks (In Minas Tirith: the gate, and at the Ford: Frodo's sword/tongue.)
the Witch King laughs
something sounds 'shrill': a cock's crow and Asfaloth's bells. The bells on Asfaloth shrill earlier in the process though.

What is remarkable about the two scenes is the following sequence.

At the Ford of Bruinen, the water is moved, and seen are riders on horses seemingly riding down the Witch King and his two followers. Glorfindel, Strider, and the hobbits then close in on the remaining black riders, which horses panic and jump into the flood.

In Minas Tirith, the witch king crosses the border and enters the courtyard. This is followed by the entering of Rohan's riders on horses, destroying the army like a flood. On this occasion, the witch king dies, and when Aragorn's army approach Morannon, Sauron's army panics and decides to meet them head-on, missing the real threat of Frodo and Sam.

At both events riders on horses come in, the captain of the army dies/is incapacitated, and the ones still left commit terrible choices causing their defeat.

The reason for Gandalf's addition of horses was discussed and not settled on during class. Could this be foresight by Gandalf?
Is there other significance to these events, or other occurrences I'm missing, similar to these?
Or is this yet another wonderful example of recapitulation in Tolkien's stories, as with Aragorn calling on Arwen / Beren and Luthien, or when Orome/Finrod find the newly awoken elves/men?

Back