Tolkien, Bilbo, Sacrifice, and Empathy

Hi all. Still hopelessly behind, but still thinking deep Tolkien thoughts. :) As context, in the "Exploring" series I'm still at the point in the Hall of Fire where Bilbo asks to see the Ring, then seeing Frodo's reaction finally "gets it" and gives it up for good.

I've been reading Prof. Olsen's "Exploring The Hobbit," and a parallel just struck me.

Corey (p. 261 of the hardback) talks about the moment Bilbo gives up the Arkenstone, another of his most precious finds. This was something that he instantly fell in love with, saying "I think I would choose this if they took all the rest." And this isn't just talk. Smaug's poison has affected all of the treasure -- particularly treasure that was already magically alluring. Corey shows how the dragon-sickness has affected all the parties around the mountain -- Thorin, the Elvenking, and Bard. And Bilbo as well. And yet, at the mountain, Bilbo is willing to risk all of his claims to treasure & even his own life to give it up. Because of his empathy for Thorin and all of the "Good People" who were about to wage senseless war on each other.

This seems to be a driving force in all of Bilbo's life. He can succumb to desire and is perfectly willing & able to refashion the truth afterward to make himself look better. (See the story of the "birthday present" and even the story he tells himself when he first takes the Arkenstone). And on his own, he is perhaps never able or willing to change or even see it. (See Rivendell, where the *first* thing he does is ask to see the Ring, because he hasn't really listened to anything that any of the Wisest people in Middle-Earth have been trying to teach him for 18 years.)

BUT... when push comes to shove, and he sees that other people are suffering (Gollum, Thorin, Frodo), he breaks free & makes uniquely brave and noble choices. And he does this 100% of the time, almost without even hesitating. Beyond just pity, I think it's a deep empathy, which he may not even understand himself. And that empathy drives the most important choices he makes throughout his life and basically guarantees his "happily ever after" fairytale ending. He can't "turn bad," because when it comes to it, his empathy for others' struggles wins out over his own self-interest.

Question for Narnion: Does this sound right, and can we infer anything from it about how Tolkien himself saw the character (lowercase & uppercase) of Bilbo?

Last edited:
I wonder if this speaks to the "stuff," the spiritual resilience, that hobbits have. Maybe it is empathetic at it's core...and of course, some hobbits have it more than others.

Could be? The hobbits can claim that no hobbit has murdered another in the Shire in centuries (ever?). That does seem to suggest that empathy is strong in them. But on the other hand, they're often shown to be pretty petty toward each other. All the minor thievery & the acquisitiveness, plus their parochial mistrust of people who live barely 10 miles away as "queer" and "other" makes me wonder.

But I like the idea of extrapolating it out beyond Bilbo to hobbits in general. I think, if we do so, we can ask more interesting questions much later. (Much of Frodo's difficulty readjusting after everything's all over may be how the Ring affected him in its last days, stamping out that empathy. I think the memory of how that felt must have weighed incredibly heavily on him. A topic we can discuss in 2029!)

Last edited:
I was also thinking of the 'Hobbitry' dialogue...sure it can be taken as slight ribbings or even banter but the Hobbitry comes from an understanding of the other person's situation....

….even the personalized and poignant presents that Bilbo gives out for his 111 birthday shows his deep understanding or empathy towards the recipients.

Actually, the fact that it is customary for a Hobbit to gives OTHERS presents on said Hobbit's birthday is kind of empathetic.

"I know it is my birthday and I am suppose to receive gifts, so, here is a gift for you."

I just wanted to acknowledge here how glad I was to hear Corey defend the virtue of pity in Tolkien's legendarium. I have long considered it to be much more important to understanding what Tolkien meant when he called LotR 'a fundamentally religious and Catholic work.' Sometimes it seems to me that he was attempting to rehabilitate the idea of pity for our modern world. Etymologically, pity is related to piety, which in Middle English included the ideas of both mercy and pity. [Think of the wonderful Michelangelo statue Pietá.] Interestingly both descend from a Latin word which also gives us 'pious' -- which still includes the concept of a duty. I like to think of it as the duty imposed by the second of the great commandments -- you shall love your neighbor as yourself.

I think of two times when Tolkien specifically answers the modern idea of pity with the religious idea: when Gandalf responds to Frodo's comment about Gollum in "The Shadow of the Past," and in "The Steward and the King" when Faramir responds to Éowyn's "I desire no man's pity" with "Do not scorn pity that is the gift of a gentle heart". No wonder Sam said that Faramir had 'an air of Gandalf, of wizards'.

Back