Trees that move, just not when you're watching

TThurston

The last episode I listened to was the one where the hobbits enter the old forest. I enjoyed the revelation of the action words associated with the path. However, I notice similar things about the trees themselves:

"They could see it [the path] running on into the wood, wide in places and open above, though every now and again the trees drew in and overshadowed it with their dark boughs."

"... after a while the air began to get hot and stuffy. The trees drew close again on either side."

"Just behind them a large branch fell from overhanging tree... The trees seemed to close in before them."

"The path stopped climbing, ... The trees drew aside, and ahead they could see the path going almost straight forward."

"There it [the path] left the trees and faded into the turf. The wood stood all around the hill".

It is easy for me to imagine all those trees that have been drawing in or drawing aside, forming the path to lead the hobbits along, now standing all around the hobbits on the hill. But you never see them move at all, so they must move only when they are not being watched. It rather reminds of my favorite episode of Dr. Who, "Blink", where the Weeping Angels are introduced. These angels move, but never when you are watching them. And they are very dangerous.

Last edited:
Speaking of trees moving only when the hobbits aren't looking.

I'm reminded of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies where baby Groot will instantly stop dancing whenever Drax looks at him, so Drax never sees him dancing. :-D

Back