What Bilbo and Frodo Didn't Say - And Neither Did We

Rachel Port

We talked a lot in class about the emotions Bilbo and Frodo were showing and avoiding in their farewell scene. It hit me, though, that we missed the major emotion in the room with them, and that every speech and action had to be interpreted in light of that - namely, that these two who love each other believe this is most likely their final goodbye. I thought of it when we considered Bilbo's turning away, I think to hide tears, and what he might be feeling. We looked at all his complex feelings at giving away his mementos of his adventure, his memories, his nostalgia, his wish that he could still have adventures, his possible envy of and pride in Frodo, possible guilt about the Ring, his worry for Frodo. In other words, his emotions mostly concerned with self. We talked about the symbolic importance of passing this battle gear on and rituals of knighthood. But what I kept feeling was that all of it was about their love for each other and the fear that one or both of them would die before they could ever meet again. And that was too unthinkable to put into words.

Love and Death - pretty basic. And much too operatic for hobbits.

It did get mentioned, at least in the Discord, but it didn’t get the full treatment. One of the clear markers of this is the way Bilbo couldn’t finish his sentence about finishing the story when Frodo gets back.
What I got from that is Bilbo recognizing the peril that Frodo is heading into, along with a possible sense that he might die before Frodo could get back. What is never raised by any of the characters is the fear that with the destruction of the Ring, any mortal whose life is extended past their ‘due’ might perish with the Ring. Frodo would be safe in that regard, but Bilbo might not be.

I said it on YouTube, but nobody replied to it. Gollum clearly believed he would die if the Ring was destroyed and after having it a few hundred years he's undoubtedly right. And yes, Bilbo might too, and he probably thought so; not so sure about Frodo, but Bilbo is old even by ordinary hobbit standards and could die simply of age, if the Ring hasn't screwed that up too. And of course, Frodo's quest is deadly whether it succeeds or not.

The Ring, of course is the other thing not mentioned that hangs over everything in the room. Bilbo mentions it once casually but it's another powerful tie. They are "alone together" not just in being the only two people there.

Back