When in doubt, go find a hill to climb... maybe.

Philip

I have been catching up on some recent classes, and noticed that in both Episode 82 and 83 we see two more instances (one alone and one with Merry) where Strider seeks higher elevation during times of uncertainty. I remember how we had talked back at Weathertop about his tendency to do so, and thought these recent examples were rather interesting. Much unlike Weathertop and Amon Hen (and Caradhras?) the two scouting summits in Flight to the Ford both turn out quite well, resulting in him being able to better guide the company. This got me to wondering if these two positive climbs give us a hint at the reason behind his tenancy to seek higher elevation during uncertainty (even when it doesn't seem entirely logical). After all, he's a Ranger, and I can imagine that for one who wanders about in the wild a good deal, finding a high spot could probably become a routine solution when you don't know what to do or where to go. Is it possible that this practice is what's influencing some of the other choices we see Strider make?

Back