Why is Aragorn showing joy at seeing Glorfindel

NettleHolder

When Glorfindel appears on the scene Aragorn shows great joy. The explanation for this given in the course was that Aragorn was exhausted, and Glorfindel gave him new hope. I think there is an additional explanation that was not mentioned during the course:
Let us remember what Glorfindel is doing: He is looking for the hobbits, knowing that the Nazgul are also in the neighborhood. He undoubtedly knows about the Nazguls' despair weapon. So while he is looking, he is radiating hope, both to battle the Nazgul despair, and to encourage hobbits in hiding to come forward.
Aragorn is more aware of the fluxes of hope and despair as he knows better than the hobbits that this is where the real battle is fought. So he responds to the hope before the hobbits, and more forcefully than them. Not only has the chance of success increased now that Glorfindel is there, but the hope that Glorfindel radiates is also affecting Aragorn directly.
Glorfindel appears to Frodo as a radiating figure, because Frodo is partly in the wraith realm where spiritual power is not only felt but also seen - he is seeing the shining new hope.
This is also why the Nazgul at the bridge withdrew - -Glorfindel was slapping them spiritually. And later, at the ford, Glorfindel has turned his hope beacon to the max and appears as a shining figure, driving the Nazgul into the water just as a magnet north pole repels other north poles.
And the reason Asfaloth is wearing bells is that he also wants to contribute, and the bells have a nice sound tthat is more like hope than like despair.

I hadn't thought of Aragorn being "more receptive" of the hope and spiritual strengthening than Glorfindel is exuding - I like it, and I think it is quite plausible! (Also, "slapping them spiritually" is a great description of scaring off the Ringwraiths. I would think the likes of Aragorn and Gandalf and several others would be more in touch with the spiritual side of things.

Back