Recent content by Doc Singles

1. D

Regarding Episode 278: Verb Moods & Elvish Rings

Hi Corey! Concerning the mood of the non-existing verb in Gandalf's fiery incantation: I like to think it was indicative such as when Gandalf informs Saruman that his staff is broken. I like this because it creates consistency, and I love consistent magic systems! You pushed back on that...
  2. D

Frodo Dreams of Bilbo While Freezing

Concerning this passage: A great sleepiness came over Frodo; he felt himself sinking fast into a warm and hazy dream. He thought a fire was heating his toes, and out of the shadows on the other side of the hearth he heard Bilbo’s voice speaking. I don’t think much of your diary, he said...
  3. D

Hobbits and Hobbitry with Gandalf

Hi Corey! As you've said, whether out of respect, deference, or just not wanting to escalate the trading of wits with a Maia for fear of being completely eviscerated, the hobbits typically don't give sauce when exchanging hobbitry with Gandalf. But I did notice this passage during a reread of...
  4. D

Frodo's Feast... Shrewd Maneuvering?

Is it possible that Gandalf and Elrond are using the Feast in Frodo's honor as a means to bolster Frodo's confidence and increase his sense of worth, or perhaps show him that he is held in high esteem because they've been planning all along to coax Frodo into carrying the Ring to Mordor?
  5. D

No More Podcasts on iTunes?

Thanks Jim, but neither Chrome nor Firefox is able to interpret those page links (This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it ). I've been searching for podcast apps that would give me access to the podcasts stored in an Amazon cloud. I've discovered that...
  6. D

No More Podcasts on iTunes?

Am I understanding properly, that Exploring the Lord of the Rings (as well as the other podcasts) will no longer be uploaded to iTunes? Is there somewhere else I can download the podcast audio files? If not I suppose I must extract the audio from youtube or twitch videos... a bit of extra work...
  7. D

The Conspiracy to Conceal Bilbo's Whereabouts

There are many characters that know Bilbo is alive and safe in the House of Elrond; none of them share this information with Frodo who loves and misses his uncle dearly. Conspirators Gildor (presumably) Gandalf Aragorn Glorfindel And after the hobbits arrive in Imladris: Gloin Sam Pippin Mary...
  8. D

Gildor, Help a Hobbit out!

Gildor knows that these three hobbits, babes in the wood, are being pursued by nine 5,000 year-old mummy warlocks. He knows that Gandalf is involved with their purpose so it must be rather important, and by his own admission Gildor & Company are merely tarrying. So why doesn't he whisk them...
Back