Mythgard Forums

Nicholas Palazzo
Nicholas Palazzo
Maybe leaking balrog-bane tech through Maeglin. Glamdring?
amysrevenge
amysrevenge
Dude.
amysrevenge
amysrevenge
I literally just an hour ago listened to the Mythgard Lost Tales 2 class about the fall of Gondolin. Was thinking about Balrogs, and what it means for them to be "slain" exactly.
MithLuin
MithLuin
Fall of Gondolin is probably the story from the Silmarillion I wish most that Tolkien would have come back to and rewritten. The story I wish most he wrote would of course be the ending with Earendil.
Ange1e4e5
Ange1e4e5
Like a balrog-bane helmet for Ecthelion? I gotta agree with Mithluin, clear up some things about Earendil's journey, like whether or not he slew Ungoliant.
amysrevenge
amysrevenge
The forging of Glamdring serves so many purposes. It kills Gothmog. It ends up with Gandalf. It could easily also be the final piece in Sauron's plot against Gothmog, and also part of Maeglin's story as a scheme within a scheme.
Haakon
Haakon
I kind of like the thought but would Sauron really? He's such a manipulator, I'd say he'd rather use Gothmog than set up his death. Do you think he really hates G that much? That he'll waste him?
Nicholas Palazzo
Nicholas Palazzo
Well, my reasoning is mostly for story purposes. It gives resolution to the whole Sauron/Gothmog subplot. But does he really hate him so much? Absolutely. I think he might be jealous of his position in Melkor's machinations. He's tried using him for millenia, but its not really working. I think it would be good to have a payoff to all of that.
Haakon
Haakon
Well my main point wasn't meant to be the lack of hate. I think he still identifies G as someone who is against the same forces as Sauron himself is, even if they're not exactly on the same team or track.
But be that as it may, the more I think of it, the main thing I'm wondering about is what such a plan would look like.
amysrevenge
amysrevenge
Well, this could also set up the future Annatar Lord of Gifts thing, where Sauron dons pleasing guise and teaches someone (Maeglin? Eol seems... a stretch) about Balrog-bane swords. Not everyone, not too soon, but just at the right time such that there's only one of them (or a small number) when the attack comes.
amysrevenge
amysrevenge
I suppose, also, that we should try to preserve this conversation in an appropriate thread (World Building?) for future reference when the Profile post disappears off the bottom of the list...
MithLuin
MithLuin
There is already a Swords thread which includes discussion of the Gondolin swords - this could go there.
Haakon
Haakon
I just want us to be careful about the status of Gondolin as hidden. Sauron communicating with Maeglin could risk messing things up. But perhaps we should really take this to a thread if it's something we want.
amysrevenge
amysrevenge
I popped a screen shot up to MithLuin's last post in the Swords thread.
Back