Last Activity:
Apr 23, 2017 at 2:49 AM

Followers 1

Birthday:
Apr 7, 1975 (Age: 42)

Share This Page

amysrevenge

Active Member, Male, 42, from Calgary

Lost my job of 7 years this week. We're fine, but my "PC with a real keyboard" time is diminished. Reading all things, thumb-typing rarely. Apr 19, 2017 at 6:56 PM

amysrevenge was last seen:
Apr 23, 2017 at 2:49 AM
    1. amysrevenge
      amysrevenge
      Lost my job of 7 years this week. We're fine, but my "PC with a real keyboard" time is diminished. Reading all things, thumb-typing rarely.
      1. MithLuin
        MithLuin
        Oh no! I hope all turns out for the best :(
        Apr 20, 2017 at 4:53 AM
      2. Haakon
        Haakon
        So sorry to hear that! Yeah hope things work out soon.
        Apr 20, 2017 at 9:27 AM
      3. Nicholas Palazzo
        Nicholas Palazzo
        I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully employment comes to you swiftly.
        Apr 20, 2017 at 10:03 PM
    2. amysrevenge
      amysrevenge
      Haha can you tell I'm sat at my desk today, after a long period of working remotely? Type type type.
      1. Nicholas Palazzo likes this.
    3. amysrevenge
      amysrevenge
      Ok here's a threaded story that you guys might find amusing.
      1. Marielle, MithLuin and Haakon like this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. amysrevenge
        amysrevenge
        They were having a heated argument. I couldn't hear well, but I could tell that one man was positing that "the new DC movies are the spiritual successor of fairy tales".
        Apr 4, 2017
      4. amysrevenge
        amysrevenge
        I didn't catch all of the rebuttal, but I definitely heard "Tolkien" and "On Fairy Stories".
        Apr 4, 2017
      5. amysrevenge
        amysrevenge
        I really wish we had been sitting closer. :)
        Apr 4, 2017
    4. amysrevenge
      amysrevenge
      Idle discussion with my wife: if he had written the show, would JRRT have referred to the denizens of Smurf Village as "Smurves"?
      1. MithLuin
        MithLuin
        His preference for 'dwarves' rather than 'dwarfs' is meant to account for the natural English tendency to adapt plurals that are in common use. Of course, there is also 'Dwarrowdelf', where he uses the plural form 'dwarrow', but I don't know enough etymology to understand where that came from.

So, if not 'Smurves,' could it be 'Smurrow'?
        Mar 28, 2017
      2. Marielle
        Marielle
        He might very well... but I strongly suspect that would have been the least of changes he made to that show.
        Mar 29, 2017
      3. amysrevenge
        amysrevenge
        It sounds dumb to say it out loud, but the general premise is ripe for a proper mythologizing. (Similar for Fraggle Rock - a serious mythology could be fascinating and entertaining.)
        Mar 29, 2017
    5. amysrevenge
      amysrevenge
      I thought from body language my daughter wasn't enjoying our Hobbit reading, but after skipping a few nights she asked for the Gandalf book.
      3. MithLuin
        MithLuin
        I read the Hobbit to my brother when he was 5; he enjoyed it, and would ask me to read to him, but he mostly just wanted to get to the part with Gollum and would often fall asleep. I waited until he was 9 to read him LotR, and he read the Silmarillion on his own when he was 10.
        Mar 21, 2017
      4. amysrevenge
        amysrevenge
        I showed her some screen captures of animated Hobbits and Dwarves, and she saw the last couple minutes of the first Hobbit film (basically from when the Eagles land on the Carrock through Smaug opening his eye) - my rule is no animated R-B film until after we finish the book.
        Mar 21, 2017
      5. amysrevenge
        amysrevenge
        She was *captivated* by the field trip portion of the Exploring course last night (I had it casting to the TV).

I live in a different timezone so no she wasn't up past 11pm on a schoolnight, thank you very much haha.
        Mar 22, 2017
    6. amysrevenge
      amysrevenge
      Saw a sign outside a cannabis supply store that was sooo close to my new favourite day: "Tokin' Tuesday" #exploringLOTR
      2. amysrevenge
        amysrevenge
        #TolkienTuesday
        Mar 14, 2017
    7. amysrevenge
      amysrevenge
      FUN! I'm so glad to have caught up and be able to listen in live to silmFilm. Can't wait for S3 when I can chip in from the start. :)
      1. Haakon likes this.
    8. amysrevenge
      amysrevenge
      Listening to the Prof introduce the "Exploring" course in 1st Return of Shadow class. "No more than 1 chapter per week". Hahahahahahahaha
      1. MithLuin
        MithLuin
        Not a lie....
        Mar 8, 2017
      2. amysrevenge
        amysrevenge
        Certainly not. Haha
        Mar 8, 2017
      3. Marielle
        Marielle
        HAAAAHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaa*deepbreath* Haaaahhaaaaaaha!
        Mar 9, 2017
    9. amysrevenge
      amysrevenge
      Visiting Banff. Feels very Redhorn Gate here tonight.
      1. MithLuin
        MithLuin
        Awesome! Banff is so lovely :) [Photos may exist of me walking around Johnston Lake and the hoodoos dressed as an elf ;) ]
        Mar 5, 2017
    10. amysrevenge
      amysrevenge
      Listening to some of youse guyses' Youtubes. Doing my best to get more in the loop than I maybe have been lol
      3. amysrevenge
        amysrevenge
        My grandmother used "yous" sounding kind of like "buzz" for the second person plural pronoun, but it didn't stick with any of us.
        Feb 27, 2017
      4. MithLuin
        MithLuin
        Ah, gotcha. I say 'you guys', but not 'youse guys', though people have said the latter to me. I will occasionally say 'all y'all', but mostly to get attention - in the context of 'all y'all need Jesus,' or something. I grew up in southern PA and live in Baltimore.
        Feb 27, 2017
      5. Nicholas Palazzo
        Nicholas Palazzo
        Thanks for watching either way.
        Mar 1, 2017
    11. amysrevenge
      amysrevenge
      Been thinking a lot lately about how to handle cutting between ongoing stories, vs. telling each one start to finish. Soon to be an issue...
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Nicholas Palazzo
        Nicholas Palazzo
        I have actually brought up the Tuor/Turin example before and have been told that we will be doing separate seasons for that. However, I am in favor of jumping back and forth between storylines within episodes.
        Feb 25, 2017
      3. Nicholas Palazzo
        Nicholas Palazzo
        GoT doesn't just jump back and forth between seasons, they usually stop in on every character at least once or twice an episode. They typically have several subplots going at once within the episodes.
        Feb 25, 2017
      4. Ange1e4e5
        Ange1e4e5
        How about when Aredhel brings Maeglin to Gondolin? When will that story be told?
        Feb 25, 2017
    12. amysrevenge
      amysrevenge
      Dad grade: A+. Managed to feed and entertain my kid, and put her to bed, without missing any of class last night. And had relevant comments.
    13. amysrevenge
      amysrevenge
      Veto. No wait. Voted.
      1. Marielle and Haakon like this.
    14. amysrevenge
      amysrevenge
      Experimenting with gotomeeting interfaces. My tablet casts the screen to my TV but doesn't cast the audio. Weird.
      1. Nicholas Palazzo
        Nicholas Palazzo
        That is weird. I've never tried that, myself.
        Feb 10, 2017
      2. amysrevenge
        amysrevenge
        It treats the audio as if it was a phone call rather than normal audio I suppose. Which still doesn't explain it...
        Feb 10, 2017
    15. amysrevenge
      amysrevenge
      Got to play "Boromir on Caradhras" with my "halfling" this morning, clearing the path on the 1km snowy walk to daycare.
      1. Richol Richards and Haakon like this.
    16. amysrevenge
      amysrevenge
      No chance to go hunting for photos right now, but what about Michael Keaton for Bombadil?
    17. amysrevenge
      amysrevenge
      Boo I might not be able to be live for Exploring the Lord of the Rings this week. Parenting...
      1. MithLuin
        MithLuin
        Parenting is important! And it is recorded, so...
        Jan 24, 2017
      2. amysrevenge
        amysrevenge
        Lucky timing. My wife texted for me to come pick her up just as the professor said "Time for our field trip". I'm enjoying the field trips, but they are ancillary to the text discussion - I can watch the field trip section later without feeling like I "missed" the session.
        Jan 25, 2017
    18. amysrevenge
      amysrevenge
      OK, that was fun (I'm "Mike" on the webinar software btw, also another proud member of the H-double A-K club)
      1. Haakon likes this.
      3. amysrevenge
        amysrevenge
        Yeah ours was that too before emigrating in the 1920s. Don't have that option in english lol.
        Jan 14, 2017
      4. Haakon
        Haakon
        Oh so your family came from Norway?
        Jan 15, 2017
      5. amysrevenge
        amysrevenge
        Yessir
        Jan 15, 2017
    19. amysrevenge
      amysrevenge
      OK I'm caught up. I kinda don't know what to do with myself now.
      2. Haakon
        Haakon
        Did you check out season one? :)
        Jan 13, 2017
      3. amysrevenge
        amysrevenge
        Yeah yeah I don't go halfway. Since November I caught all of Riddles in the Dark and both SilmFilm Seasons and the old Silm. Seminar. And whatever other ancillary podcasts were on the feed.
        Jan 13, 2017
    20. amysrevenge
      amysrevenge
      Oh my. For the first time, I just heard the Professor plug an event in my future. Been a long road. Haha
      1. Haakon likes this.
  • About

Birthday:
    Apr 7, 1975 (Age: 42)
    Big Mike
    Calgary AB Canada

Signature

Big Mike
    Calgary AB Canada