A bit of Elvish banter

Lincoln Alpern

In my latest reading of Chapter 3 for this class, I was struck by an incident which I've passed over in previous readings (buoyed by Rob Inglis' stellar narration). Frodo and Gildor are immersed in a very heavy, and tense conversation about Frodo's mission, and how fearful his situation is, and on top of all that, Gandalf, who was supposed to return long since, is still nowhere in evidence. Gildor replies with the famous "Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards," line, and tells Frodo it's his choice whether to wait for Gandalf or leave at once.

'And it is also said,' answered Frodo: 'Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.'

We've already seen Frodo match the Elves' banter with his own, so that's not surprising. However, this is an incredibly light-hearted response, given the seriousness of Frodo's predicament and the obvious fear showing in his dialogue both before and after this line. It would make sense in the mouth of an Elf, who has seen many fair and foul things come and pass in his long years - but Frodo is Mortal, and more likely to get caught up in the immediate danger of the situation than to take a longer view.

So I have to wonder: why the sudden bout of levity on Frodo's part at this point in the story?

So I have to wonder: why the sudden bout of levity on Frodo's part at this point in the story?
Because under the Hobbitty exterior he's fundamentally British, and our stereotypical reaction to danger is to take the mickey out of it until it's distracted then kick it in the voonerables…I can tell from your signature that you ought to be familiar with this modus operandi :cool:

Compare this to Merry and Pippin's conversation in Fangorn after they've escaped the Uruk-hai. The narrator points out that their reaction is very hobbity and that a listener would not guess at the horrors of their recent ordeal based on how light-heartedly they were discussing it.

Also, if you've only read the Hobbit and are reading FoTR for the first time, this is very clearly how you are supposed to talk to elves. I always read the Hobbit, and then move on to Lord of the Rings, so when the elves say, "Three hobbits in a wood at night," I always want them to follow it with "Most astonishing wonderful!" or "Isn't it delicious!"

Back