Amazon series:reactions and thoughts (Spoiler alert!)

. I admit the idea has flaws, but I think it is supported by how the story is portraying the characters.

If you mean "inconsistent" then maybe. ;-)
Living in the high montains is quite harsh and relies more on livestock than on cultivating grain. Not something one can transition fast into as a whole nation. Refugees coming in could of course melt into an already existing local culture which does know how to live there, but in such a case the king/leader would be the local one and the refugees would have to subordinate themselves to the receiving culture. So Halbrand would not be the leader anymore.

Last edited:
Oh the Numenoreans certainly would push him, plus he can rely on their, even small and local but highly moveable, military support!

Well, I just wrapped up Episode 8 and... I have many random thoughts. Most are related to the shifting identity of Sauron but I will now enumerate those that are not.
  • I definitely called Tar-Palantir dying. Whole Numenor plotline was very ominous.
  • Lots of different foreshadowing which was good to hear.
  • Sad about Sadoc.
  • The final song was great.

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant the quotes from LOTR interspersed in. I expect the reception to those will be mixed, but I enjoyed it.

Oh, i'd hope very much they'll pretty much start afresh!

I have to say i really liked the episode, with everything that was wrong again storywise illogical or weird in lore interpretation.

Halbrands reveal was obvious, and quite a release to me, finally it is done! Meteorandir being Saurons nicer twin-brother was also.... umh, interesting?

Sauron playing mindgames with Galadriel was nice,... evil,Finrod, and Sauron trying to seduce Galadriel, being a bit infatuated.

All in all this time it felt a bit too much stuffed into one episode, but okay. I quite enjoyed it!

And Bridie Sissons...

Last edited:
Will this still be valid if the next season is due in ca. 2.5 years? Nobody will remember, they can start almost afresh.
Sorry, but this is a weird stance. Seasons 3 and 4 of Stranger Things both had waits between 2 and 3 years. Didn't seem to hurt their viewership. Season 8 of Game of Thrones had a 2 year wait. People not remembering what happened before that wasn't the problem. Walking Dead had almost 2 years between seasons 10 and 11. The Man in the High Castle had 2 years between seasons 2 and 3. The Boys had almost 2 years between seasons 2 and 3. I know there are more, but those are the ones I looked up. TV series with high production values take longer to produce. 10 Hours of cinema-quality television is the equivalent of making 5 or 6 feature films in two years, so it's an accomplishment in reality.

Plus, most of these 2+ year productions were due to covid restrictions, so I honestly think they are just being safe by saying it could be 2, but hoping for less.

Sorry, but this is a weird stance. Seasons 3 and 4 of Stranger Things both had waits between 2 and 3 years. Didn't seem to hurt their viewership. Season 8 of Game of Thrones had a 2 year wait. People not remembering what happened before that wasn't the problem. Walking Dead had almost 2 years between seasons 10 and 11. The Man in the High Castle had 2 years between seasons 2 and 3. The Boys had almost 2 years between seasons 2 and 3. I know there are more, but those are the ones I looked up. TV series with high production values take longer to produce. 10 Hours of cinema-quality television is the equivalent of making 5 or 6 feature films in two years, so it's an accomplishment in reality.

Plus, most of these 2+ year productions were due to covid restrictions, so I honestly think they are just being safe by saying it could be 2, but hoping for less.

I was specifically referring to foreshadowings - such nuances are usually fast forgotten.

Well, I just wrapped up Episode 8 and... I have many random thoughts. Most are related to the shifting identity of Sauron but I will now enumerate those that are not.
  • I definitely called Tar-Palantir dying. Whole Numenor plotline was very ominous.
  • Lots of different foreshadowing which was good to hear.
  • Sad about Sadoc.
  • The final song was great.
:( Sadoc

a lot of emotion in this episode.
Sadoc
Galadriel melting down the dagger
Nori leaving her family. and Poppy
Elendil clearly not wanting to tell Miriel her father is dead.

After the teaser I was a bit disappointed. Then when Halbrand said "consider it... a gift" I was like Oh, that's what they're doing. The interactions with Galadriel and Halbrand were really compelling after that.

the Blarog was a lie.

I did miss not having Durin for an entire episode for the second time in 3 episodes.

I do have to wonder if "follow your nose" was a hint at the Stranger's identity, or just recycling wizard-talk. he is going East after all.

So they know what Halbrand is Sauron and that his plans includes rings, before he makes the other 16 rings. Will the Durins cut themselves off from everyone else so much that Elrond won't be able to tell them about Halbrand and to watch out for him? He could take on the guise of Annatar to the dwarves and men, but if Galadriel/Elrond/Gil-galad get the word out before then, it could be prevented. It won't be prevented, so they have to have a way to not get the word to them. I'm guessing season 2 will include these rings being forged and possibly ending with the forging of the One.

Haha oh yes I KNOW these!

Like now everybody is disappointed and full of hate and in two years lots of people will be like"Do you remember rings of power? That was cool!" "Nah, i hated it even back then!"

I was definitely in the ‘Annatar is already in Eregion’ camp for most of the series but then started wondering about Halbrand in Ep6 and7. So the reveal for me was definitely an OMG it WAS him all along moment. I think they made the transition In Ep8 beautifully with his interactions with Galadriel. I think one of the reasons I was hesitant to accept Halbrand as Sauron earlier was Galadriel’s attitude towards him. In retrospect I can see this was part of her PTSD-led tunnel vision about finding Sauron so unable to see what was right in front of her. I can also see how Sauron misjudged Galadriel, and geniuinely felt he had an ally in her (his Episodes 5 and 6 speeches to her show he did feel he had a connection with her). Everything that Halbrand had said and done was truthful (just like SilmFilm’s portrayal of Melkor in Valinor in season 2 (I’m rewatching the series and seeing all of this afresh). He misjudges Galadriel only because after the eruption of Mt Doom she is seeing things more clearly. I did feel they crammed too much into Ep8 but I loved so many of the scenes and the last shot of Halbrand in Mordor as Sauron was absolutely chilling and I can’t shake the image - so kudos to the show makers for that one.

There is much more that needs to be clarified regarding the Lindon plot line (the least developed in my view), and I’m very curious to know the backstory to Halbrand being on the raft - but I think these will be clarified as the series progresses. I’ve seen enough to recognise that they have thought through so much and are really trying hard to thread the line of staying consistent with Tolkien’s material while telling a proper story about this part of ME history.

I’ve been thinking about the other rings of power. It is possible that these are also not made by Sauron (in the books all the rings are made by the elves except the One). I can see one of the plot lines of Season 2 is the making of the other rings by the Elves and Sauron’s theft of them. It is possible that Sauron doesn’t give all of the nine and the seven out at the same time. I can totally see Durin the younger being one recipient (perhaps both Durin and Disa as recipients).

Well lets think this through: Halbrand on the raft...
His only adress really could have been Minhiriath/Cardolan... wouldn't it? There are gwathuirim and tribal folk in Eryn vorn plus... it is not very afar from Eregion!
Anyway, some of the gondor folk have ancestral connections to Bree and so i could see him going there too, after all he is the kings heir,,even of the elder king, not the local petty king!

Well lets think this through: Halbrand on the raft...
His only adress really could have been Minhiriath/Cardolan... wouldn't it? There are gwathuirim and tribal folk in Eryn vorn plus... it is not very afar from Eregion!
Anyway, some of the gondor folk have ancestral connections to Bree and so i could see him going there too, after all he is the kings heir,,even of the elder king, not the local petty king!
I suspect it is related to Adar’s mutiny. The ‘sigil’ carved on Finrod shows his plan was Mordor manufacture all along so he may well have been in the Southlands at the time of the mutiny. If Adar thinks Sauron is dead then it makes sense that he feels free to make Mordor the Orc utopia/homeland. I’m sure this was not Sauron’s plan.

It has to be more complicated than this! It is aftervall a voyage of 2000+ miles!

Also Adars mutiny has to be far bigger than what we saw on the series if we'd believe Halbrands account that his supposed kingdom was overrun. How far did his rule reach then originally?

I'd say: there was a royal line connected to the north via the men of bree and the White mountain men and that mustbhave been where Halbrand was heading!

I really would like to see proto-bree in a future season... see how barbaric the ancestors of the nice breefolk maybe were once!

The numenoreans certainly made contacts withnthese as well as at last two other cultures: the downsmen of Evendim/Northdowns and the tower-folk of the trollshaws... i'd like to see both!

The orodruin-key is more tricky... i still do not see how Sauron cpuld or would have devised the machine or why.. he is an elemental sorcerer after all, he may zave thoughtbhe needed a proxy to do this for him, activate his volcano in absentia.

He
It has to be more complicated than this! It is aftervall a voyage of 2000+ miles!

Also Adars mutiny has to be far bigger than what we saw on the series if we'd believe Halbrands account that his supposed kingdom was overrun. How far did his rule reach then originally?

I'd say: there was a royal line connected to the north via the men of bree and the White mountain men and that mustbhave been where Halbrand was heading!

I really would like to see proto-bree in a future season... see how barbaric the ancestors of the nice breefolk maybe were once!

The numenoreans certainly made contacts withnthese as well as at last two other cultures: the downsmen of Evendim/Northdowns and the tower-folk of the trollshaws... i'd like to see both!

The orodruin-key is more tricky... i still do not see how Sauron cpuld or would have devised the machine or why.. he is an elemental sorcerer after all, he may zave thoughtbhe needed a proxy to do this for him, activate his volcano in absentia.
He says orcs took his homeland in Ep3. It’s Galadriel who introduces the notion of a kingdom,

This machine does actually nothing in the end - a simple level at the dam would suffice. Completely overengineered.
The tunnels had to be dug by orcs or slaves manualy, the magic sword did nothing magical.

Last edited:
Also Adars mutiny has to be far bigger than what we saw on the series if we'd believe Halbrands account that his supposed kingdom was overrun. bsentia.

But Adar mentions the Grey Montains in his speech to the orcs before the battle as a barrier they have crossed on their way to future Mordor. This would suggest the mutiny took place while they were in the North still?
Otherwise the elves occupying the Southlands not noticing the orcs working there for centuries would be really strange.

You both are right. Then again - Halbrands appearance on that raft if even more so a complete mystery to me.The folks on the raft were southlanders, and were real yet.

Back