Boromir's hair

Beech27

I'd point out that shearing, in the context of hair, has a connotation (to me, at least) of wool, or animals generally, of rough cutting rather than fancy trimming. That is, I don't think we're supposed to assume Boromir found barbers on the road, or that he stopped in with Rivendell's stylist--surely there must be one--before the council. To support this, I'd note that shear derives from the Old English sceran, which meant specifically that something was cut with a weapon. (Source: https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/shear) So, I conclude that Boromir, having reached his destination, pulled a knife and cut his hair as best he was able. He's accustomed to a certain level of presentation, and values it; but he's not a dandy either.

Last edited:
There’s a medieval era book by Allen French where a knight had to disguise his identity and live with stone masons. Part of doing this was cutting his shoulder length hair into a shorter style more appropriate for a craftsman. I don’t know if that was an actual distinction at the time, but perhaps Boromir’s hair could be an indication of rank or even nationality, as men in Rohan wore their hair in braids longer than shoulder length.

Back